Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacedSloth

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

2.2 - Player vs Player
1. You may not kill or knock out players without a valid In-Character reason.
4. Attacking to kill should be carried out sensibly and not as a first resort, unless you have a good reason for immediate lethal action.

While reviewing the rules and talking with other players about situations they've had in game, I noticed that there may be a potential gap of understanding regarding these rules. Specifically in the instances of defending ones property.

For context, where I live (New York), even with the very restrictive gun laws we have, if someone breaks into my house while I'm there I can shoot them. Regardless of if they're unarmed, when someone is breaking into your home, you can immediately assume it's an active threat and can respond accordingly, however, it's not that simple. If I'm upstairs and I have no one downstairs and they break in, I cannot legally do anything to them unless they ascend the stairs. I have a "duty to retreat" and since no lives and just property are potentially being threatened I would not be allowed to respond, however if I'm upstairs and I have family downstairs when someone breaks in, I can now respond to that as I am allowed to protect my family and their lives.

With the above being mentioned I've heard of staff enforcing/referencing the above rules in situations where someone lockpicked into an area but they were unarmed and got shot as soon as they walked in. Claiming the guy shooting was RDMing since they were unarmed. However even in my restrictive state that would be seen as a good shoot (given they weren't on a second floor when the guy broke in lol). I personally haven't had to deal with this situation in game yet, so in the event it happens I just wanted to get it clarified as to what a "valid in-character reason" is regarding things such as castle doctrine, stand your ground, etc. etc. because as it is now, I'm in the boat with the guy shooting and I would have RDM'd people thinking I'm in the right.

rxsm

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

2.2 - Player vs Player
1. You may not kill or knock out players without a valid In-Character reason.
4. Attacking to kill should be carried out sensibly and not as a first resort, unless you have a good reason for immediate lethal action.

While reviewing the rules and talking with other players about situations they've had in game, I noticed that there may be a potential gap of understanding regarding these rules. Specifically in the instances of defending ones property.

For context, where I live (New York), even with the very restrictive gun laws we have, if someone breaks into my house while I'm there I can shoot them. Regardless of if they're unarmed, when someone is breaking into your home, you can immediately assume it's an active threat and can respond accordingly, however, it's not that simple. If I'm upstairs and I have no one downstairs and they break in, I cannot legally do anything to them unless they ascend the stairs. I have a "duty to retreat" and since no lives and just property are potentially being threatened I would not be allowed to respond, however if I'm upstairs and I have family downstairs when someone breaks in, I can now respond to that as I am allowed to protect my family and their lives.

With the above being mentioned I've heard of staff enforcing/referencing the above rules in situations where someone lockpicked into an area but they were unarmed and got shot as soon as they walked in. Claiming the guy shooting was RDMing since they were unarmed. However even in my restrictive state that would be seen as a good shoot (given they weren't on a second floor when the guy broke in lol). I personally haven't had to deal with this situation in game yet, so in the event it happens I just wanted to get it clarified as to what a "valid in-character reason" is regarding things such as castle doctrine, stand your ground, etc. etc. because as it is now, I'm in the boat with the guy shooting and I would have RDM'd people thinking I'm in the right.
some of my friends got warns for doing stuff like this, so dumb. If you have a house alarm go off you're expected to be raided with a gun. You shouldn't have to wait for someone to pull out a M4 to have to shoot, they're intruding and not shooting is risking your own life.

Tye

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Idk what everyone is talking about, in everyone of my raids i always shoot first and have never had a problem. Is this a new thing? If ive got shit inside by base and someone is illegally breaking in, Im gonna shoot em.

SpacedSloth

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Idk what everyone is talking about, in everyone of my raids i always shoot first and have never had a problem. Is this a new thing? If ive got shit inside by base and someone is illegally breaking in, Im gonna shoot em.
It was brought to my attention someone was punished for the exact situation referenced in the op. I believe it was John Mikael who was the one who got punished for it. I thought the same thing as you in regards to "someone is illegally breaking in, Im gonna shoot em". If I wasn't told that someone was warned for that, I could've easily have been in the shoes of the shooter. That's why I want it clarified I think a lot of players are of the same opinion and it's not the one that's allegedly being enforced.

D

Deleted member 12627

You can kill anyone who tries breaking into your house, if they got punished for that make a staff report. I have never in my 1400+ hours on mono ever been told I couldn’t shoot someone who is lockpocking into my base. In fact I’ve been told to shoot on sight more so if anything.

Valentino

Mentor
Mentor
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

yeah I totally agree, if someone lockpicks your house they should be considered an active threat and if staff are going to be enforcing the 'duty to retreat' it should be specified in the rules.

Mak

Mentor
Mentor
Top Fragger 2023
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

That’s bullshit. Like husky said I have never heard anything about this, during my staff times nor being a player. I’ve always shot first and killed if they tried breaking into my rented property. I don’t care if they are unarmed or what not, they are still breaking into my property.

Tye

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

That’s bullshit. Like husky said I have never heard anything about this, during my staff times nor being a player. I’ve always shot first and killed if they tried breaking into my rented property. I don’t care if they are unarmed or what not, they are still breaking into my property.
yeah I totally agree, if someone lockpicks your house they should be considered an active threat and if staff are going to be enforcing the 'duty to retreat' it should be specified in the rules.
You can kill anyone who tries breaking into your house, if they got punished for that make a staff report. I have never in my 1400+ hours on mono ever been told I couldn’t shoot someone who is lockpocking into my base. In fact I’ve been told to shoot on sight more so if anything.
Yeah huge agree, which staff said it wasnt allowed.

SpacedSloth

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

This is an accurate representation of what you are allowed to do if someone actively breaks into your house on the server by lockpicking the door and trespassing or what not.

Clarification received beautifully.

D

Deleted member 12627

Im genuinely curious who told you, you couldn’t shoot someone for trespassing and breaking into your property. This post gave me a bit of a giggle.

rxsm

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Im genuinely curious who told you, you couldn’t shoot someone for trespassing and breaking into your property. This post gave me a bit of a giggle.
whoever gave Jack a warning point lol

Status
Not open for further replies.