Whathe12

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Disrespectful post
Probably the biggest pet peeve I have are the little technicalities that people use to squeeze themselves out of what are otherwise fun roleplay situations because they're loosing ingame items.

Today as Mayor, I granted the death penalty to person "B". who was arrested and put in prison for mass murder. I arrived at the prison as mayor about 25 or so minutes into his sentence and told the warden he has permission to commence the death penalty on person "B". 20 minutes later I'm told by @TXFURRYDUDE that he voided person B's death, and that I cannot grant the death penalty after someone has been arrested. I was also told by @Brad this is not realistic. I pointed out that people often serve on death row for 20+ years before they are executed in the USA, with lots of death penalty executions taking place 20+ years IRL after they've been sentenced. They both told me this isn't realistic..... even though this happens in real life all the time.
I was also told by an admin that the Mayor has to make a law ingame saying that the death penalty is allowed..... even though it is already allowed within the United States.

These explanations aren't in the rules so I asked for them to cite rules that explained their reasoning and told them my reasoning. They told me to stop misusing !help or they will ban me.

Here's the only rule I found that pertains to the death penalty. "5.3.3. As the Mayor, you may not create laws to allow public executions. The death penalty may be instituted under realistic circumstances - carried out privately for first degree murder or treason" - Which I thought I followed? The death penalty was carried out in the prison after I approved of it as mayor, here's the video leading up to it. https://streamable.com/omrefr
(Accidentally pressed the pause recording hotkey so thats all I got)

If there are extra rules besides 5.3.3 for the death penalty to be allowed, then I feel that they should be clearly stated in the rules.

They told me to post here to ask for clarification as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeyExpert30

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

You have to either give the guy death penalty BEFORE he is arrested or not give it to him you can't give him lets say 40 years and then kill him in prison. Making a mayoral law also makes it clear to police that they can do this possibly stop them from arresting the subject and giving the guy the death penalty instead but you cannot give both to a criminal.

hop1003

Monolith Grinder
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I don't think you understand how the death penalty charge works. When a judge hands out sentencing I.e 60 years that's the punishment and It cant be changed if a new crime hasn't been committed due to double jeopardy. But if a judge orders a death sentence the person can still be put in jail but originally they have a kill order on them. Although we may not have a court system I think of the police being the sentencing.

TL:DR: Arrest someone for 60 years you can not do anything to them again for the same crime after they have been jailed.

Walter Scott

Mentor
Mentor

Years of Mono

LV

I don't think you understand how the death penalty charge works. When a judge hands out sentencing I.e 60 years that's the punishment and It cant be changed if a new crime hasn't been committed due to double jeopardy. But if a judge orders a death sentence the person can still be put in jail but originally they have a kill order on them. Although we may not have a court system I think of the police being the sentencing.

TL:DR: Arrest someone for 60 years you can not do anything to them again for the same crime after they have been jailed.
What if someone made a mistake in the sentence time?

TXOwODUDE

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

It would most likely be voided, but since people should use the recommended times for certain offenses, it is an unlikely occurrence.

hop1003

Monolith Grinder
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Overall, the death penalty is a tricking subject IRL and in-game due to just how final It is. Its not to be given out lightly.
Yes you can bullyhunter

TXOwODUDE

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

Yes, you can have the death penalty only for the most serious of offenses, i.e. capital murder and high treason, anything that doesn't fall in that seriousness level does not warrant the death penalty under any circumstances

✪ BullyHunter

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Yes, you can have the death penalty only for the most serious of offenses, i.e. capital murder and high treason, anything that doesn't fall in that seriousness level does not warrant the death penalty under any circumstances
That is pretty pog.
For ultimate realism and to piss them off slightly you can 'put them on death row' for 20 mins in those cells in the PD, then you can take them to a room and then see where that takes you.

TheLoser27

Monolith Veteran
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

That is pretty pog.
For ultimate realism and to piss them off slightly you can 'put them on death row' for 20 mins in those cells in the PD, then you can take them to a room and then see where that takes you.
Yea but it's kinda like a 4-step process, 1. The person who you want executed must meet the requirements of A. Murder B. Treason. 2. Their must be a mayor, 3. He must have a law, 4. He must approve the private execution.

✪ BullyHunter

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Yea but it's kinda like a 4-step process, 1. The person who you want executed must meet the requirements of A. Murder B. Treason. 2. Their must be a mayor, 3. He must have a law, 4. He must approve the private execution.
Is this a rule or is this how it should be?

cause i kinda like the sound of executing people who tried to kill me or someone else

TXOwODUDE

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

cause i kinda like the sound of executing people who tried to kill me or someone else
Tried to kill you and actually killing you are two different things, actually doing it could be grounds for the death penalty, but only attempted would be a lengthy prison sentence at most.

hop1003

Monolith Grinder
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

The only rule that mentions executions is
3.As the Mayor, you may not create laws to allow public executions. The death penalty may be instituted under realistic circumstances - carried out privately for first degree murder or treason.

Whathe12

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

The only rule that mentions executions is
3.As the Mayor, you may not create laws to allow public executions. The death penalty may be instituted under realistic circumstances - carried out privately for first degree murder or treason.
I agree it should be a step process. The problems I ran into yesterday that confused me were. A. I was told you cannot put someone in jail, and then execute them. B. You must make a law before executing.

Which is confusing because these seem like additional rules that aren't in the ruleset.

I was confused because it's already federally legal so I don't know why a mayor would have to restate that. and then back to A. is pretty much putting someone on death row which happens IRL so it's realistic. There's all this talk about making the PD & judicial system more realistic but when RP comes down to it such as in this case, the opposing parties complain because they want things to happen in their favor, not lose their items and want roleplay to continue how they want to dictate it and not have someone else impact their roleplay (IE. the police & mayor sentencing someone to death).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tye

Jimmy Jimson

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

A while back I was an officer and we were going to execute a bank robber for valid reasons. We got the assistant chief's permission, but I asked and staff said that the mayor had to grant permission, and if there was no mayor you couldn't do executions. Registration was occurring, so we decided to throw them in jail on death row and go execute them once there was a mayor. When the new mayor was elected, we got his permission, went to jail, and executed them.
Was that okay?

TXOwODUDE

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

No, the death penalty has to be the first thing, and can only be done when a Mayor is present, not when a mayor WILL be present. You can't put someone on "death row" in game.

Whathe12

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

No, the death penalty has to be the first thing, and can only be done when a Mayor is present, not when a mayor WILL be present. You can't put someone on "death row" in game.
Why can’t someone be put on death row in game? There’s no rules against it and it’s not unrealistic so it can’t be failRP. If anything it adds additional RP that’s different from the linear gameplay on monolith.

TXOwODUDE

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

It also isn't fair to the person sitting in jail, to then be killed, so. Yeah, it may be unrealistic, but we also want the player in jail to have a good time, and not be forced to sit in jail, only to be killed.

Gurra

Community Director
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I agree that the rule is quite ambiguous. It will be discussed. I see the point on both sides, double jeopardy vs. need to put people in arrest for a while since execution orders take time to issue and perform.