COOKING UPDATE FEEDBACK
Hello, this post is feedback on the recent Cooking Update that took place a few days ago. Along with my opinion and that of some people, i will say our thoughts in order for this post to be seen by the developers so that they can improve this new mechanic and make it something enjoyable.
I've been playing these days and i even participated in the beta tests before the new cooking was released. Im saying this not to create some kind of "authority argument", but to show that I believe I have played enough the Cooking Update to give a decent opinion. As I said before, this feedback is also based on other people's opinions too. With that being introduced i would like to point the 3 Main Issues that i believe is taking all the fun/enjoyment that this update could bring:
1. COOKING DURATION FOR EACH RECIPE IS TOO HIGH.
- Recipes take a long, unnecessary time to cook. Most of the recipes, mainly of medium-high level, take on average 2-5min to be complete which is insane considering how dynamic the server roleplay is. Cooking is not by far the most profit work on the server, nor it is illegal, but then you have to wait 2+minutes(depends the recipe) to separate the ingredients, deploy the pots, put each ingredient in each Pot, move the pots again and when you finnaly put them on the stove u have to wait more 2-5min to get it done, this is annoying. Being known that there are other much more lucrative jobs to be done, using the same time you spend to cook a maximum of 6 things, it makes Cooking something totally discouraging to do and even if the food selling prices in NPCs are adjusted, if that obnoxious cooking time duration remains, the issue will persist and will keep players away from doing Cooking as a profit job.
Keep in mind that, in 10 minutes you can profit more than 5K just by growing Cocoa which is legal or coca leaves if you have someone to buy from you, profiting you much more money. You can at this same time make 3 cocaine batches that will profit in a minimum of 20k. But with this insane food preparation time you can waste 5-8min just to make max 6 food at time.
- Cheseburguer, Cake and Energy drink duration insanely high. 5 minutes is the time it takes to make a maximum of 6 cakes, using all the burners on the stove (not considering the 2-3min of preparation), 3min cheeseburger and 2:30 energy drinks. Well, there is not much more to say than this time is too much, none of these items gives you any money to justify all this time to produce it. Yes, the cake fills +100hunger and the energy drinks refils your stamina but it’s still not justifiable, its takes a very long time that you can’t do anything else while waiting for that cooking time. If you are going to keep all this preparation time, I think it will be necessary for the cake to be sold at least 1.5k-2k per unit, so that it is worth having a cake business; and all other foods with long preparation time will also have their selling prices increased dramatically.
2. THE PREPARATIONS ARE ANNOYING.
- You have to split the ingredients 1 by 1 in your inventory. It doesn't matter if you have 1 stack of meat, eggs or any other ingredient, if you want to cook a recipe you have to separate the items from the stack to put them in the cooking pot; It means that you will keep dragging your mouse back and forth, opening the pot menu and putting the ingredients, occupying several slots in the inventory, since you can't cook more than one food per Pot.
This may be seems as a silly or pointless to complain about this, but if you've already cooked after this update you know how obnoxious and unjoyable this is.
- The whole thing about opening pot, putting ingredient, moving pot, dividing ingredient is annoying. I don't think that aspect can be changed in the future, even so I would like to leave here that is annoying.
3. IT'S TOO PUNITIVE.
- It is unnecessarily very easy, let the food pass the cooking time and burn it. If you are making a recipe that must be removed from the fire at the XX time, you have a 7 seconds threshold to turn of the stove fire and finish the recipe. But if you somehow exceed those 7 seconds before or after XX cooking time of that recipe has passed, the food will become a mush.
This 7-second limit is not enough, it's still too short and you can still burn your food easily, especially when the recipe time is long. If you are doing something else in RP or even watching a video on yt you can easily losing all that recipe because you had very few seconds to remove the pots from the fire.
""But this is intentional, making players pay attention to cooking time, just like in real life"" Yea we got the idea but it's being too tight, turn your atention to something for some seconds and boom your food is gone, not good.
- If your hunger/thirst is below 90%, you already start to lose stamina. Meaning that if you always want to keep your stamina to the maximum, you always have to open your inventory and eat something. It's a cool feature but you have very short punishment deadlines, It is certain that 99% of players have aways their hungry/thirsty levels below 90%, either for not having that much food to keep spending and keeping its hunger above 90% or because their own food stats does not exceed that number.
""It is possible to slice some foods on the prep table and make it into smaller pieces, so you don't spend large amounts of food to fill only 10%, also its intended to keep the player paying attention to its hunger/thirsty"" Yes, I personally do that and it is still very annoying to have to be opening the inventory every 3-4min and eating a cake slice just to have your stamina full. Again, its cool that we have sort of feature and depth of mechanic but currently as it is its being too "tight" and punitive, not fun, enjoyable or even realistic. Ask yourself if IRL you may Run less meters just because you are 10% hungry/thirsty if somehow you know a way to watch your hungry lvl?.
- It takes a lot of space in your inventory. The Cooking Stove, preparation table and 6 cooking Pots already occupies 8 spaces in your inventory and you still have to have space for the ingredients divided 1 in 1, since you cannot cook stacked ingredients items cooking pot. One of the causes to this issue is the cooking pots, it doesn’t make sense that each of them occupies 1 space in the inventory each; It is the same space that weapons, factory equipament, attachments occupies on inv. Cooking pots don't have the same importance as these previous items and they arent even expensive, not to mention that it is not the saming cooking pot as the one you uses to make cocaine.
- Along with the points 1. and 2. makes the system even more punitive. Too much space required in the inventory, too long to cook recipes, repetitive and boring preparations, easy to burn the food and lose it. All these problems happening at the same time, makes the system very punitive, and when it is said "punitive" it is in the sense of: You sacrifice a lot to cook, you lose a lot of time, you cant do anything else and you have a high chance of it all goes wrong, even if it works (get the cooked food) you won't have no significant profit even selling to other players.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After listing and explaining all of these points, you may be thinking that the new Cooking Update is total shit, but its not, Its the oposite of that, its realy good. Its better than the system that we had before. The preparation table is rly cool and the foods that you can cut and split into other smaller foods or even new food items, The possibility to implement secret recipes, combinations and things like that. stamina being influenced by your hunger/thirsty is also verisimilar, but unfortunately there are these issues that take away the fun and enjoyability aspect of it. Those problems turn the cooking experience something annoying.
From here I will leave suggestions of how to fix each of these issues:
- Decrease the cooking time of each recipe by 50%, and then we would have something more dynamic and less boring.
- Make that there will be no food recipe with cooking time more than 2: 30min or less.
- Make it possible to put the ingredients in the Cooking Pot without having to open the pot container and drag the things, similar the way you cook cocaine, just dropping it on the floor and touching the Pot.
- When an ingredient stack (more than 1 single ingredient) is dropped on the floor and if it touches a cooking pot, only one unit of that stack will enter in the Pot at time. This is so you don't have all that work to split that ingredient stack till you have all of that stack separated, just let the game split it for you.
- Increase the time threshold before the food becomes mush, from 7 seconds to 10 or even 13seconds.
- Make Stamina start to be affected by hunger/thirsty if the levels are below 66% (2/3 food/thirsty).
- Simply make the Cooking Pots stackable up to 6. // Implement the suggestions at 2. topic.
- Please, adjust the food selling prices of the NPCs! It has become much more difficult to make food now, it is necessary that the sales prices are greatly increased so that the players have some incentive to use this new mechanic.
Some opnions i could print about the new cooking:
And that's it. If you agree, disagree or would like to add another point, please post your comment. Keep great discussions away since this post is in the feedback area and not discussions.