Valdrec

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

Hello there.
In Monolith I designed and play a character called Jimmy Longfellow. He was designed to be a full-immersive character.
Monolith supports a large degree of Roleplay, as well as a great degree of content that is both interesting and contains a degree of balance.
Both to it's support and Detriment, Garry's Mod supports a large playerbase of both Roleplayers and ...more aggressive types.

It's often been a complaint (and justifiably so) that the Roleplay elements of the server sometimes take a back seat. Without giving way to nostalgia, I do think there is something that could do with being returned to the scene.
And to this end, I want to create a grouping of seasoned, expert Roleplayers.

I'm not entirely sure what the structure of this would be yet (be it an informal grouping, or a fully-fledged organisation) but I want to somehow collect and encourage die-hard roleplayers.

What sort of expectations would that carry? I'm thinking these would be the requirements:

1 - Never ever break character unless it is absolutely required.
Although I have seen a good variety of characters, very often players will default to just playing themselves, and break character multiple times in any situation.
It's a pain to have to deal with - I don't want to have to be reporting all these situations, so I have decided it would be better to lead by example.
This also includes when responding to other people who are breaking character - an entire situation can break apart when someone chooses to break character, and the opposing side argues back.
Characters should have no knowledge that they are characters in a game.
2 - Never to use gameplay against how it is intended.
Huge gangs will often discover advantages that while, not against the rules, are often incredibly immersion breaking, and will teach each other to use them. Any proper RPer should only be acting in possible ways.
3 - Have an incredibly solid understanding of the rules, and how it applies to Roleplay.
Roleplay can often be broken by people not understanding the rules. It is a requirement for Roleplay, and when properly understood it can be used to great effect.
While I would say an unflinching obedience to the rules, I know from experience that there are some small areas where the rules bend - but only provided they support excellent RP that is not abusive. For example, when I murdered another criminal to let a police officer I had established a long friendship with.
4 - A dedication to your character.
Your character needs to be well-thought-out. You need to know where they are from, what their mannerisms are, what their voice is (if you choose one) what their dreams and desires and objectives are. You should be able to predict how they might react to a situation that follows their morals. Your character needs to be consistent and real. If your character is a hardened criminal, what reason would they then become a police officer for? How does your character regard other characters in the city and how do they regard them?
If you need to do something outside of your character, you need to be prepared to change your name and appearance to act as a different character for the time being.
5 - You need to take Roleplay seriously.
This doesn't mean taking no breaks. This means appreciating what Roleplay is, supporting other people's Roleplay, embracing a character's actions, even if they are detrimental to them. If your character sets off a chain of events, you have to be prepared to see them through.
6 - You absolutely cannot bring any bigotry with you.
Perhaps one of the most important parts about being a successful actor - you cannot subscribe to any ideology that indicates any person is lesser or greater than another. That includes language directed at a particular group.
It is irrational behaviour and will only make it more difficult for you to relate to the process of creating and understanding characters and Roleplay.
It has no value to anyone, but is of particular note for being a proper Roleplayer. There already go a great number of bigotries on Garry's Mod that go unchallenged, and likewise there are plenty of terrible places that ignore, or even support this behaviour. The further from it that you are, the more enjoyable yours and everyone else's experience playing will be.
7 - No Discord - or any other form of metagaming whatsoever.
Using things like Discord while in game completely undermine the existing rules for Roleplay. Almost every major organisation has had a discord, making it impossible to prove rulebreaking unless in the org. Metagaming completely undermines your knowledge and abilities as a character, and removes other characters abilities to potentially counter your actions - a fully underhanded form of cheating.

This is just a conceptual idea at the moment, but I am thinking the possibility exists of making a club, or some kind of group that can support and potentially reward it's members who hold these ideals to the letter.
Please let me know what your thoughts are, if you'd be willing to join or support this, or even if anything can be improved. Your constructions are welcome!

Last edited: