Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdrec

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

Hey it's Me, Valdrec, frequently play as Jimmy Longfellow or recently as Bill Dean.

I joined Monolith just over a year ago now. I firmly believe that it's style of gameplay is the finest in DarkRP, and what all DarkRP servers should try to be like.
Initially I joined because I was looking for a good place to RP. I'd had a small bit of luck on ARK, and some time on Life is Feudal, but I was impressed with what a multi-faceted experience it was. It wasn't just be a criminal, make pointless money, RDM everyone. It wasn't dominated by one poor gameplay mode. It understood that it was a game, in many ways, an MMORPG.

Through positive experience of Oban, and although I never had a positive experience of Sam Wong, player or character, I felt that a server that could support a consistent character with their own motives was a very special thing. I wanted to add a character to that mix too.
I already have a degree of training as an actor, so I studied up on an Dubliner-Irish accent, and I set about interacting with the server. Jimmy Longfellow, at his best, was the face of jailbreaks, co-ran one of the leading organisations, and funded multiple others.

Off the server, I gained notoriety for reporting staff, but also for a lot of suggestions, some of which are in the works, others that have been implemented - and of course, Jimmy's Masterlist, a compilation of all the controls to playing on the server.
Although, in more recent times my suggestions have garnered a little too much pushback, and I'm limited to how much I can speak about those.
But I'm confident that any trouble the server has, such as tweaks to gameplay and the like, will be ironed out in time. The server is a solid unit. It's a genuine business, and it's business and development side is impeccable.

I've had some really good times on the server. I've also had very angry times too.
I've met a lot of people who I was able to have a genuine interaction with, even through the guise of RP. But I had those interactions less and less as time marched on. Internet, Gaming, and Garry's Mod each have their own troubles regarding how people treat one another, how they harass one another, and with what manner they consider critical thinking as a skill.
While I was willing to tolerate a lot of it, in the name of RP, as I say, I've found the RP elements of the game to be significantly harder to find. It's possible that I've just been here for that amount of time that I no longer noticed details that would have seemed very fresh to a noob.

But all that said, I think it's time for me to give it a rest. I know this will be a great source of joy to some, and I wish them all the best in the future. I need for me to take a break from the community and the server - possibly indefinitely.
I know some people who, when they were done with Monolith, burned all the bridges on the way out. And while I can appreciate that maintaining restraint for a long time can mean a very cathartic end, I don't want that to be the way I bow out.

There are some genuinely inspired ideas in this game, even despite all the noise. I hope that those who are good at what they do, keep doing it.
Catch you later.
- Valdrec

P.S. Someone is going to need to maintain my masterlist after I'm gone. There's also a lot of item interaction, like with the new weed system that I considered adding, as it's a FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.