twinkie

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

So with 2 kids and a wife and a job that sucks my budget is tight. I love my job and refuse to quit cause in the long run it will be a great paying job. But my question is whats a good pc i can buy prebuilt (i built my old pc and fudged it up costing me over $450 cause it was ruined) I need something 750 or under that runs gmod fine. I primarily play on xbox but love to play gmod. Im not a hardcore gamer cause of having a family which is why im looking for a cheaper pc that runs gmod better. I currently run at a constant 40 frames on the server but get lag spikes for a few seconds sometimes that drop me down to 10-20 which affects gunplay/driving. Any ideas would be great. If there are no pcs that match what im looking for let thats fine just wondering what other options are out there

Cuddles

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7R4Gf9 $814.69
I didn't add a hard drive because you can just use your old one but if you don't have an SSD I recommend getting one also. Made this pretty quickly I know it's a bit over your budget but pretty damn good graphics card and a good CPU. Also you cannot overclock the cpu sadly.

Desktop Screenshot 2019.10.16 - 13.55.21.87.png

pre-built with the closest Specs and it's $1,131.00

Also you should never buy a pre-built PC it's not as scary as it looks building it trust me. Most of the time the pre-built products are extremely overpriced and they still charge you to build it. Just watch a lot of videos and look at the manual It's really like adult Legos.

wiz

Suspended
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting a new PC just for gmod. The game is 10+ years old and runs horribly on all pc's no matter the specs. So, if all you're going to do is play gmod, don't get a new PC; However, if you really wanna upgrade I suggest just buying a new CPU because thats primarily what gmod runs off of.

Scofield

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

So with 2 kids and a wife and a job that sucks my budget is tight. I love my job and refuse to quit cause in the long run it will be a great paying job. But my question is whats a good pc i can buy prebuilt (i built my old pc and fudged it up costing me over $450 cause it was ruined) I need something 750 or under that runs gmod fine. I primarily play on xbox but love to play gmod. Im not a hardcore gamer cause of having a family which is why im looking for a cheaper pc that runs gmod better. I currently run at a constant 40 frames on the server but get lag spikes for a few seconds sometimes that drop me down to 10-20 which affects gunplay/driving. Any ideas would be great. If there are no pcs that match what im looking for let thats fine just wondering what other options are out there
bro are u sure its your computer specs that causing u to lag or is it your internet or the server in Dallas's fault?

twinkie

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

bro are u sure its your computer specs that causing u to lag or is it your internet or the server in Dallas's fault?
i mean i have really fast internet and can run 3 phones 1 pc 1 laptop and my xbox at the same time with no issues and still have low ping. i bought a non gaming pc and i play gmod on it. thats why it doesnt run good

Brent Skeng

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

i mean i have really fast internet and can run 3 phones 1 pc 1 laptop and my xbox at the same time with no issues and still have low ping. i bought a non gaming pc and i play gmod on it. thats why it doesnt run good
It really does depend what you're looking to do with the PC.

If it's just garry's mod then i guess just an 8gb ram some GTX 750ti would be good enough.
But if you're looking into more games such as the new call of duty etc then i guess you will be looking to be paying around £900-1200 just to have a decent experience. But remember if you dont have a 144hz monitor theres no point exceeding above 60fps imo.

xWaller

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Main thing you're gonna want for gmod, as a higher performing part, is your CPU. Gmod isnt very GPU intensive, rather CPU intensive and the average RAM for a PC now days is 16GB (2400-3200 Clock speeds) preffered to run other software/games as 8GB gets jammed up pretty quick.
Ryzen 7 2700x

Newer Ryzen CPU (Ryzen 7 3700x)
Make sure your motherboard socket is AM4 if you get either of these Ryzen CPU's.
16GB 2400GHZ 2 Sticks of 8GB Each Stick
Be careful with 3 fan graphics cards as they may not fit in certain cases due to its length.
Decent/Well Graphics Card ASUS GTX 1060Ti

Last edited:

xWaller

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Here's a pretty darn good PC I quickly whipped up if you're about building one. Its pretty easy to do, as I did mine pretty easy.
Average Custom Built PC (Clickable Link)

This is everything minus the mouse and keyboard.
Dont worry about the compatability notes about the heatsink. My brother has the same case and CPU Cooler and it fits just fine. Aswell, the Cryorig H7 DOES FIT the socket AM4 for AMD.

ArcticSalad

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Main thing you're gonna want for gmod, as a higher performing part, is your CPU. Gmod isnt very GPU intensive, rather CPU intensive and the average RAM for a PC now days is 16GB (2400-3200 Clock speeds) preffered to run other software/games as 8GB gets jammed up pretty quick.
Ryzen 7 2700x

Newer Ryzen CPU (Ryzen 7 3700x)
Make sure your motherboard socket is AM4 if you get either of these Ryzen CPU's.
16GB 2400GHZ 2 Sticks of 8GB Each Stick
Be careful with 3 fan graphics cards as they may not fit in certain cases due to its length.
Decent/Well Graphics Card ASUS GTX 1060Ti
There isn't any point in suggesting a RAM speed of anything less than 3200MHz. RAM speed has a significant impact on performance for AMD Ryzen systems and 2400MHz is considered very slow. A 3200MHz kit is more or less the same price as a 2400MHz kit and you're going to be getting a lot more out of your system.

I wouldn't suggest a GTX 1060 either, unless you find a really good deal. When you're buying brand new, you typically want to be purchasing current hardware rather then stuff that's already going out the door. If you were looking for something comparable to a GTX 1060, the GTX 1660 or 1660ti are good choices (which are actually better for a comparable price).

There is a lot more to picking out a motherboard then just "making sure it is AM4". If this is the only criteria you look at, you may end up with a system that won't even boot. If you decide to go with the building route, make sure to do your research and ask many questions.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting a new PC just for gmod. The game is 10+ years old and runs horribly on all pc's no matter the specs. So, if all you're going to do is play gmod, don't get a new PC; However, if you really wanna upgrade I suggest just buying a new CPU because thats primarily what gmod runs off of.

Yeah, Garry's Mod doesn't run perfectly no matter what kind of system you have. However, you will still see a significant improvement and a much more stable experience with a better system. It just comes down to whether or not you can justify the cost of a new system to play one game. Garry's Mod is indeed pretty CPU intensive, but unfortunately you can't just simply buy a new CPU. Unless your system is very recent and compatible with a chosen upgrade, It will probably at the very least involve getting a new motherboard and RAM as well .

Looking for a pre-built system for gaming is difficult. Most of the time you are going to be paying significantly more then if you were to build something yourself and it usually contains some pretty questionable parts. There are decent deals out there from time to time, but that is outside my area of interest and you would be better off asking around somewhere like a dedicated PC forum.

It would be helpful to myself and anybody else that gives you a hand here if you could provide the specifications of your current system and your monitor. That way we can make sure we are suggesting a decent upgrade, and if you were to decide to build your own there could be parts you can reuse from your old system.

By the way, I noticed a couple of pcpartpicker links to system builds people have suggested to you before my post here. I don't recommend any of them. If you become interested in building a system yourself, I'd be happy to explain why or even suggest something myself.

I hope this helped you a little bit. If you have any questions, let me know!

Buddyro22

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Instead of buying a whole new set up upgrade your old parts , that’s what I did . Upgraded RAM , CPU , GPU

twinkie

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

been wanting to avoid saying this but im on a laptop lmao. its alot harder to upgrade laptops. its a nicer laptop but not great

J4C0BTH3K1N6

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Use /fps in game to boost your fps it works for me!

Cuddles

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Try these also makes the game look bad but FPS is much better

mat_queue_mode -1
r_3dsky 0
gmod_mcore_test 1
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1

Hoblit

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

as others have said, Garry's mod is a very old game and playing on heavily modded servers like Monolith is always going to mess your fps up regardless of your computer.