Do you want a permanent standalone server for this gamemode?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hawke

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Is the aim to still fill the same niche or will it be an attempt to go 'serious'? Because I can see it clashing heavily with the server culture of the last 5 years and there are other communities that've been scratching that itch for people for a long time now.

Impulse tried to go serious too and it fell flat on its face because the playerbase just didn't play Impulse for that. I can see that being a legitimate issue for Monolith.
As mentioned, the server would be separate from Monolith CityRP.

Serious text RP is not the aim, but we would work on ways to promote passive roleplay and immersion, escaping DarkRP tropes and some of the more non-roleplay behaviours.

SteffanGaming

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Hope this becomes a reality!
The votes are looking to be in our favour, which puts a smile on my face.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this fully developed.
I'm aware there are a few current issues however, development has already been done to fix the most obvious issues
this makes me think it is certain that this will become its own thing.
I'm very much waiting in joyful anticipation to wait for the official response.

Gurra

Community Director
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

You have to be really careful with tying this hypothetical server to Lemonpunch just because three members of the staff team worked on it over half a decade ago.

Running a serious text-based HL2RP server like LP was is a whole different ball game to running the type of server Monolith does now. Could Monolith run a good Semi-Serious HL2RP server? Sure, no reason why it couldn't but I think ya'll have to realise it'd probably be a reskinned, slightly modified version of CityRP and not "Lemonpunch 2.0".

Agreed. It's perhaps an interesting trivia in this context that I founded LemonPunch, but most credits for our HL2 RP event should really go to our devs. They've been building this HL2 RP gamemode ever since we started the 1st of April tradition and they've done so entirely on own initiative. I don't think it's aspiring to be what LemonPunch was, which is a good thing as far I'm concerned. Excessive text-based RP, "/me"s, "play-to-loose" and rule-play is at least not something I find appealing. In that sense I was a bit out of touch with LemonPunch, although I think I handled operational management and delegation quite well with some notable exceptions. Perhaps there is a place for Monolith's HL2 RP to position itself in the way impulse did. Perhaps not. For now, I'm just admiring this pretty remarkable achievement by our developers to create an entire HL2 RP experience over the course of some 1st of April events.

Last edited:

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Agreed. It's perhaps an interesting trivia in this context that I founded LemonPunch, but most credits for our HL2 RP event should really go to our devs. They've been building this HL2 RP gamemode ever since we started the 1st of April tradition and they've done so entirely on own initiative. I don't think it's aspiring to be what LemonPunch was, which is a good thing as far I'm concerned. Excessive text-based RP, "/me"s, "play-to-loose" and rule-play is at least not something I find appealing. In that sense I was a bit out of touch with LemonPunch, although I think I handled operational management and delegation quite well with some notable exceptions. Perhaps there is a place for Monolith's HL2 RP to position itself in the way impulse did. Perhaps not. For now, I'm just admiring this pretty remarkable achievement by our developers to create an entire HL2 RP experience over the course of some 1st of April events.

This is a very interesting sight, It appears you've been overwhelmed with the positive reception this has received.

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

I agree, aiming for Impulse's sort of setup is a much better idea than people running around yelling "omg LP 2.0!" because frankly that isn't fair on Monolith and just isn't realistic at all.

Even if you tried to cultivate a serious server setting it just wouldn't vibe with the past five years of community building. It'd probably fail, frankly. But then again, you never tried to fill that niche to begin with.

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

I agree, aiming for Impulse's sort of setup is a much better idea than people running around yelling "omg LP 2.0!" because frankly that isn't fair on Monolith and just isn't realistic at all.

To be honest at this rate im just saying it as a meme.

Larry Gibbons

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

Yes all the way. I've preferred some sort of semi-serious HL2RP for quite a while now. With Mono's development, I think it would be an incredible new journey for certain types of players.

heyitskev

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

I originally didn't plan to comment on this thread anymore, but I think clarification is needed on a few things. First and foremost, I need it to be made clear that (in my opinion) developers should be doing whatever makes them the most happy. There is no point in developers working on something that they don't enjoy, as I'm sure many of them can attest, it will lead to burnout and may have already done so. There has been a significant amount of love and attention put into this event, arguably more love and attention than any monolith update in the past year or so. This does show me that this is where the development team's hearts are at, and if that's where they are at, they should continue working on the project. My previous comments on this thread NEVER said that developers should stop working on HL2 because I didn't like them doing it. I don't know where this idea came from.

With that out of the way, I would like to seek some clarification from some of the people working on this project about a few things, particularly revolving around the language used to discuss the project. @hawke and others have been using both "will" and "would" interchangeably. Are we to assume that this is already a confirmed thing or is it just the way things are being worded?

My next thing to bring up is, once again, how this project would likely effect the development of City RP in some way, shape, or form. My previous comment about developers still stands, they need to be working on what they enjoy the most. However, by doing so, City RP will likely decline due to lack of developer resources. There are people on this thread and discord stating this is not the case, but I do truly ask, how do you know that? Are you saying this simply because you want a standalone server or because you do believe that or someone has told you so? I'll admit that I don't know for an absolute fact that City RP would decline, but there are only two developers in our community who actively work on the game mode. All of the others mostly work on monosuite or only come in every now and then (once again, there is nothing wrong with this, they need to be doing what they want to do most.) Unless a developer can come in and state otherwise, we are forced to assume that dedicating resources to HL2 will result in less or no further significant updates to the City RP game mode. Pretending this is not the case is not doing any good.

Lastly, I would like to apologize for the passive aggressive manner I have conducted myself in towards new players who would like a standalone server. I was attempting to speak out for something that I love and in doing so I feel as if I attacked those who were asking for a standalone server instead of the idea of a standalone server itself. This was not acceptable and I do apologize.

Last edited:

Mr.Marsh

Mentor
Mentor
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Whilst i certainly prefer cityrp over hl2 rp i can see why we may wanna diversify a little. It would perhaps also be helpfull as a valve for some people to blow off some steam in a setting that is more tailored towards agressive rp.

That beeing said about the likely cost of it. Diverting precious ressources (funds, developement time, staffing) in order to diversify may hinder the progression of the communities core: city rp. Ive been part of a similar community before that made a similar move. As playercounts were starting to drop a bit too much the team decided to branch out into arma and gta. Therby greatly reducing the upcomming content for the mainserver, stretching the budget and understaffing the servers and forum. Of course developers shoud have the freedom to work on what they are most interested in. Afterall this usually brings the best results and in a communitys like this the value a single developer can add to the game is usually far beyond what he or she may be getting in return. I can imagine quite a bit of it is volunatary/unpaid labor with the occasional passion project. The best work of course usually beeing achieved in a field where the individual has both expertise and genuine interest.
However for the communities lonevity as a whole certain maintenance and occasional content additions will still have to be maintained to a degree unless we would want to replace city rp entirely (which would be quite a risky move - and a quite frustrating one)

To be fair Monolith is still a quite huge and by the looks of it well funded community. And of course a second server may help generatenew income and attract a new aduience. But those effects will likely take quite a while to cick in.

I wouldnt be too worried if it werent for the fact that we are already in a somewhat dangerous postion regarding our playercount. Gmod doesnt get any younger. Why those that have grown up with it get older and are thus often forced to take a step back from it (may that be due to college/university or a new job) younger people can now turn to GTA RP and other alternatives which they are far more familiar with. A further concern would be the temporary short term impact this could have on the playerbase. While a new server may help recuit people in the long run, it would also draw the population from the main server as both subcommunities mix and mingle. While those movements will likely even each other out, in the beginning we will probably more people leaving the main server to play on the hl2 one for a while.

Long story short: this could be a neat addition and possible a good long time investment. Though the temporary cost of it may be quite severe. If the server population will struggle for more then two or three weeks it will be increasingly harder to get people back to it.

Last edited:

Ren Kryze

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

as someone who has been drifting around numerous half life servers I would like to see this become a reality I would bring my rebel group with me

Steven2002Z

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Day 2-3 of playing this half-life event I'm having fun with it would be considered still playing it. until it ends. Also If I was YouTuber I would consider recording it and showing my Experience on this game mode to other half-life community on how great it is.

Last edited:

Moze

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

As much as I do actually enjoy and appreciate the event, even despite how frustrating it can be sometimes which is to be expected. I wouldn't want this all day everyday for a super extended period of time. Although, I would love to see this event more often.

Tadeus

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

As much as I do actually enjoy and appreciate the event, even despite how frustrating it can be sometimes which is to be expected. I wouldn't want this all day everyday for a super extended period of time. Although, I would love to see this event more often.
It's gonna be on a separate server, so you can STILL play CityRP.

Steven2002Z

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

like He Said, gonna be on a separate server, so you can STILL play CityRP once the event is over., also I have one more to say that the people voted no on the polls are the people believed that that half life 2 rp stuff would just stay on the same server But think again it gonna be on a separate game-mode like it own server with its own content.

Walter Scott

Mentor
Mentor

Years of Mono

LV

I think that if at all possible we should do the same the french did and spin up a partner server under different management with a heavier focus on HL2RP it could have it own devs focused on the HL2 content while the main devs still create content for the core monoframework. This would also make it possible for the server to be self-suficient not leaching on the main server in terms of players or devs since it will be focused on all the orphaned hl2rp players who are looking for a new home since impulse committed suicide.

Gurra

Community Director
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I think that if at all possible we should do the same the french did and spin up a partner server under different management with a heavier focus on HL2RP it could have it own devs focused on the HL2 content while the main devs still create content for the core monoframework. This would also make it possible for the server to be self-suficient not leaching on the main server in terms of players or devs since it will be focused on all the orphaned hl2rp players who are looking for a new home since impulse committed suicide.
Do you got any potential partner community / group in mind?

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

I need a new home.

Steven2002Z

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Event ends tomorrow gn folks see you guys on CITYRP soon.