Do you think a dedicated group of jobs for the court would be beneficial?

wright

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

Hi folks, I was thinking of writing of a massive suggestion for an actual set of jobs for the court system.
Here's how I think this would work:

In perhaps the Police Station or Town Hall, there would be a secondary job NPC that has the following jobs:
- Bailiff
- Lawyer / Attorney
- Judge
But, there's a catch. I think if this was introduced into the server, it'd need to be white-listed to certain players who pass some sort of interview or test. Reason being is these positions require the player to have an extensive understanding of not only the server rules, but also the role-play laws & penal code.
When an officer places an arrest, instead of having the police computer instantly jail the suspect, it spawns them in the court room instead where the judge may sentence them and give them a trial.

This all can be improved upon but I was wondering what the rest of you think about something like this?

DangerZone640

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I believe this has been brought up before. It really wouldn't work in monolith. This worked out for Santos because their jail sentences were very long (a couple hours) vs here where the max is 30 minutes. While from an RP standpoint this would be cool. From the practical side, it isnt. This is 50/50 for me. Also, if it was whitelisted then not everyone would be available every day every minute. We have a 100+ish players every day, this would be hard, same reason why the police whitelist isnt happening.

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I believe this has been brought up before. It really wouldn't work in monolith. This worked out for Santos because their jail sentences were very long (a couple hours) vs here where the max is 30 minutes. While from an RP standpoint this would be cool. From the practical side, it isnt. This is 50/50 for me. Also, if it was whitelisted then not everyone would be available every day every minute. We have a 100+ish players every day, this would be hard, same reason why the police whitelist isnt happening.
Just saw your signature.. But
https://gyazo.com/bd0a8fa8bb6bbf9a3ce6496238392a77

Eviction Notice

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

I've put a maybe in place for the system, as I have a certain issue with one aspect.

While I do agree a application is necessary for passing (what I assume would be) the BAR exam, I don't believe there should be a dedicated job for it. This way, it allows for players to create their own law firms and be able to say they're certified and qualified for the job, as well as take on new cases in their own stride.

Regarding the practically of the system: if a jailed individual is given the option to either go to court or simply be sentenced, I don't see an issue with having the choice. This will give us the best of both worlds as those who want to fight the charges against them can through a set system and those that accept their guilt can be put it normally using the system we have now.

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I've put a maybe in place for the system, as I have a certain issue with one aspect.

While I do agree a application is necessary for passing (what I assume would be) the BAR exam, I don't believe there should be a dedicated job for it. This way, it allows for players to create their own law firms and be able to say they're certified and qualified for the job, as well as take on new cases in their own stride.

Regarding the practically of the system: if a jailed individual is given the option to either go to court or simply be sentenced, I don't see an issue with having the choice. This will give us the best of both worlds as those who want to fight the charges against them can through a set system and those that accept their guilt can be put it normally using the system we have now.
Implement a system that you can only open a court case if there's a Mayor online to be the "Judge" or an Active SoD.

Eviction Notice

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Implement a system that you can only open a court case if there's a Mayor online to be the "Judge" or an Active SoD.

Why would the mayor be a judge exactly? A mayor does not require any law knowledge for their occupation, meaning an individual may not be suitable for the role.

Last edited:

Snivy

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Why would the mayor be a judge exactly? A mayor does not require any law knowledge for their occupation, meaning an individual may not be suitable for the role.

Why are players allowed to be cadets if they don’t have good knowledge of the law?
Why are players allowed to be Mayor if they don’t have knowledge of such things?

People always scream that a whitelist is such a necessity for these things when I’m reality it’s not needed at all. Incompetent people are put in positions they’re not suited for in real life just like they can be in this game. What happens then? They get fired.

Similarly, players that aren’t fit for an RP job in game should be delt with in RP.

Gurra

Community Director
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Aside from the massive logistical challenges in operating this on a 100+ players server, there is no proper evidence system yet and a criminal court normally determines if guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt - hence, it is always going to be unrealistically difficult for police to prove any crime with real-world standards. CourtRP is a cool concept, but inefficient, high-maintenance and impractical.

Last edited:

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

Aside from the massive logistical challenges in operating this on a 100+ players server, there is no proper evidence system yet and a criminal court normally determines if guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt - hence, it is always going to be unrealistically difficult for police to prove any crime with real-world standards. CourtRP is a cool concept, but inefficient, high-maintenance and impractical.
I never took that into account. It is usually word v. Word then a guilty plea for a lower sentance. I think that says enough

DangerZone640

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I never took that into account. It is usually word v. Word then a guilty plea for a lower sentance. I think that says enough
IMO, this is just too much effort and takes too many resources to create and maintain. From what he has posted, I feel as monolith can do without. As previously stated, this is Monolith we are talking about. A majority of our player base doesn't wanna sit in a court case and have to pay up for something they can just go to jail for and get over with it. A large number of arrests are just fleeing and eluding charges or possession. A full-on legal system would just be wasting the devs valuable time to be working on other, more important things.

Steady

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

Wanna be a lawyer, seems pretty cool

Dairoki

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

This sort of system is a wet dream to me.

I often try to roleplay as a judge when mayor, or lawyer as civ. It's very hard because people are too busy doing other things, and officers never cooperate. Maybe while you are in jail, you have the option to go to trial to change the verdict? This way you wouldn't serve more than your time trying to get it lowered, however you could have a chance at getting out on time served. I love CourtRP, and it's worked other places, I could see it here.

On a side note even if their weren't jobs ect ect, maybe even just a system supporting this sort of roleplay could open the door for people like me who would like to do it on their own. Ex. A bayliff job and a jailer in the courtroom, or ss serving as bayliff or something to at least allow if not encourage this to happen.

Steady

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

This sort of system is a wet dream to me.

I often try to roleplay as a judge when mayor, or lawyer as civ. It's very hard because people are too busy doing other things, and officers never cooperate. Maybe while you are in jail, you have the option to go to trial to change the verdict? This way you wouldn't serve more than your time trying to get it lowered, however you could have a chance at getting out on time served. I love CourtRP, and it's worked other places, I could see it here.

On a side note even if their weren't jobs ect ect, maybe even just a system supporting this sort of roleplay could open the door for people like me who would like to do it on their own. Ex. A bayliff job and a jailer in the courtroom, or ss serving as bayliff or something to at least allow if not encourage this to happen.
^^ Agreeing

Dairoki

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

I think it’s fine how it is atm, had 2 court cases yesturday as chief and they went well, had lawyers and a jury while mayor was the judge. I’d keep it like this as optional rp for ppl who wanna get more rp out of the server
This exactly, but maybe like I stated above, a few tweaks to make the process easier and official do to speak, with a jailor npc in the court room, maybe a police computer the mayor has access to for background checks, and we're set.

jeppe

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

This exactly, but maybe like I stated above, a few tweaks to make the process easier and official do to speak, with a jailor npc in the court room, maybe a police computer the mayor has access to for background checks, and we're set.
Yes, and make the dam chairs usable to give it more immersion, kinda aids to stand on the tables lmao

Dairoki

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

Yes, and make the dam chairs usable to give it more immersion, kinda aids to stand on the tables lmao
AMEN I did this today and had to go in Third person just to make myself sad

Steady

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

THIS Is getting really interestig

Hello migo

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

+support if they add this they should add bounty’s for a warrant of arrest

Steady

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

panzer

Monolith Grinder
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

+Support It would be great to have jobs just for court so corrupt mayors who dont know how courts work dont get to be judge, it would also be good if to be the job you had to take a quiz every first time joining the job to make sure you know how court works.