Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Harvest

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

A description of your technical issue: The infamous 'resource/fonts/ugficons.ttf' connection and crash issue
Has it happened before?: Not before the last few days or so. I was able to connect before, but within the last few days or so, that has been repeatedly popping up.
Extraneous details/description: Nothing other than the crash this issue is known to solve.

Yes, I, like many in this community, have had the infamous 'ugficons.ttf' connection and crash issue that seems almost exclusively associated with Monolith's Gmod RP server. Before you ask me, yes, I've tried the solutions that either do or don't fix the issue. For me, none of them worked.

The solutions I've tried:

Only got one response and he wasn't sure if it worked or if it was chance.

He unsubscribed from all his addons, closed him game then went into his G-MOD folder and deleted all his addons. He then verified his game cache then opened G-MOD installed the servers addons, closed it and reopened. afterwards he wasn't able to join then he restarted his PC and could join fine.

As suggested by banned user @8B1T

Try adding this to your Gmod launch parameters:
+gmod_mcore_test 1 -gl

As suggested by @Silhouhat

If waiting it out does not work try this, It works for me:

1. Right click on Garry's Mod and hit Properties

2. Go to Betas on the far top right.

3. Click the box that says "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" then pick "chromium -"

4. Your game will still stop when loading on that file (resource/fonts/ugficons.ttf ) but if you give it like three(3) to five(5) minutes it should work.

Disclaimer - Upon popular beliefs about using a beta version, when you are running a beta version of Garry's Mod it does not make my game and should not make your game get any lower frames per second(FPS) In addition to that you should not experience random crashes at any time as I have not crashed once using this beta version.

Glad I Could Help!

As suggested by @Jake Ortiz

I have also tried several fresh re-installs of Gmod along with complete removal and complete re-installs of the addons for Monolith's server to no avail and none of these solutions have fixed the issue. Even switching to Chromium solved nor helped anything.

Brent Skeng

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

These are not a guaranteed method to work, but here's a few to help you out.

1. Goto "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\download\resource\fonts" And delete everything inside.

2: Try going to settings, goto other and select "Do not download any custom files"
After connected, put it back to allow all downloads and reconnect.

3: Download/Ask for the .tff file and add it to "Program Files\Steam\steamapps\garrysmod\garrysmod\resource\fonts" manually.

4: Unsubscribe from the workshop, delete all the content in garry's mod folders and resubscribe/connect.

Last edited:

Joe Harvest

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

These are not a guaranteed method to work, but here's a few to help you out.

1. Goto "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\download\resource\fonts" And delete everything inside.

2: Try going to settings, goto other and select "Do not download any custom files"
After connected, put it back to allow all downloads and reconnect.

3: Download/Ask for the .tff file and add it to "Program Files\Steam\steamapps\garrysmod\garrysmod\resource\fonts" manually.

4: Unsubscribe from the workshop, delete all the content in garry's mod folders and resubscribe/connect.

Already did that. I realized that downloading the Truenorth Pack alongside the regular, outdated content pack might've been causing the issues. After I talked to someone and just downloaded what I needed, I made it past that to what I would consider the infinite 'Initializing' screen, both in non-Chromium and Chromium branches, both of which do not fix the issue I have run into.

gm1003

Developer
Developer
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

just make sure you don’t tab out while you’re on the loading screen, but you can also try a factory reset

Joe Harvest

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

just make sure you don’t tab out while you’re on the loading screen, but you can also try a factory reset

I have managed to make it onto the server once with like less than 10 people on, I think it was 6. I am trying to get on when it is actually populated.

gm1003

Developer
Developer
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

player count isn’t a factor

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

Sounds like your computer can’t handle the game mode. I’d suggest running the game on high priority. To do this you can put -high in your launch options for Garrys Mod.
This isn’t a server side issue, nor a technical issue if I’m correct.
What kind of PC do you have and do you run anything whilst playing Garrys Mod?

rako

Developer
Developer

Years of Mono

LV

People are always quick to blame the "ugficons" just because it shows last - It is not the cause of the problem.
The cause why you see ugficons last, is because the client tries downloading it from the server's FastDL server, but the file is not found on their server so the client retries few times before giving up. After giving up, the old "Sending Client Info" part pops up, I suspect this is where everything actually gets loaded into the memory, and that's where your client just gives up and crashes.

So again, ugficons are unrelated to the crashing issue and you should wipe your entire addons folder, as well as Lua and Workshop cache - This is the most likely solution to help you. Lua and Workshop cache can be wiped manually, or by running the factory reset .bat in root folder of Garry's Mod.

If you have 8GB of RAM in your system you might find yourself struggling because most of the system might have reserved your memory, and the amount of content on gmod might simply just flat out crash your game.

I have never encountered this issue but I wipe those folders fairy often (as they can amount to over 50GB of stored garbage), so haven't had a chance to over-garbage my gmod enough to cause crashing.

Remember, gmod doesn't download just what you click "subscribe" on - All the addons from other servers you play etc. gets stored for some time.

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

TL;DR You should wipe your entire addons folder, as well as Lua and Workshop cache - This is the most likely solution to help you. Lua and Workshop cache can be wiped manually, or by running the factory reset .bat in root folder of Garry's Mod.
If this solution works, be sure to let us know.

A Sack O' Salt

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

Locked and moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.