Scofield

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

As you guys know, the 9/11 anniversary was 4 days ago. I was born in 2002, so I don't have any recollection of the event, so most of my knowledge is from what my parents told me (they were both working at a hospital in Massachusetts, and all they said that frightened me was that all the staff and patients were all crowded near a TV screen that showed the planes hitting New York). A lot of people were affected, and lot of people flew out to New York to help with the aftermath. I went to ground zero at NYC a couple of years ago, so it was shocking to see the sheer number of names that died on that day. I am curious if any people here would like to share their experiences of where you where you guys were and if any of your friends/ family were directly or indirectly affected on that tragic day.

Joe Harvest

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

As you guys know, the 9/11 anniversary was 4 days ago. I was born in 2002, so I don't have any recollection of the event, so most of my knowledge is from what my parents told me (they were both working at a hospital in Massachusetts, and all they said that frightened me was that all the staff and patients were all crowded near a TV screen that showed the planes hitting New York). A lot of people were affected, and lot of people flew out to New York to help with the aftermath. I went to ground zero at NYC a couple of years ago, so it was shocking to see the sheer number of names that died on that day. I am curious if any people here would like to share their experiences of where you where you guys were and if any of your friends/ family were directly or indirectly affected on that tragic day.

I was in social studies class in 5th grade during 9/11. The teacher had heard about it either through school office contact, through some media source, or maybe on the phone. I don't know how she heard about it, but yeah.. she turns on the TV in the classroom to a live news broadcast either one of the towers or both towers (some parts of my memory are hazy on this) in flames and smoke was billowing from them. I remembered seeing it on live on the news as clearly I first witnessed the live news broadcast 18 years ago.

Scofield

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

she turns on the TV in the classroom to a live news broadcast either one of the towers or both towers
I have heard loads of similar stories like that, how people were in school and in class they were shown pictures of the attack. What I don't understand is why the teachers would show such graphic footage to young children? Surely it would have been extremely traumatizing at such a young age?

Brent Skeng

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Probably playing lego.

Bryce

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

I have heard loads of similar stories like that, how people were in school and in class they were shown pictures of the attack. What I don't understand is why the teachers would show such graphic footage to young children? Surely it would have been extremely traumatizing at such a young age?
It was traumatizing. And it wasnt pretty, but it was a terrorist attack on our soil that would forever change history. Thats why we got to see it.

Joe Harvest

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

I'm sure, like many that day, weren't thinking about anything logical. I mean, 2,753 people died in a matter of hours, which would weigh extremely heavily on one's emotion. This was the worst tragedy to hit America since Pearl Harbor. An attack like this, at least to the American public, was unexpected and shocking, too hard to believe. So I'd assume many who didn't live in New York City at the time needed to see or hear the news about it. To confirm or deny what was being said about what happened.

Probably playing lego.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a dark joke, or not.

Folganas

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

I was definitely a school kid on 9/11. Not sure what I did that day and I didn't really understand what happened until I grew a bit older.

twinkie

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

i was in 1st grade i believe. and i dont remember much but i 100% remember my teacher turning on the 20in box tv we had in the room and watching it all live. it was crazy and the biggest reason i enlisted in the military when i turned 17