Scofield

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

In the movies and in real life I have noticed that Police and US Secret Service have coiled earpieces, see pics below for an example. I am just curious as to wether there is an acutal reason for the design of these, e.g. to make it recognizable or not. I know a lot of u guys here are intrested in LE/military so any answers will be appreciated.
secret.jpg
secret 2.PNGLS.jpg

Gammer3

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

@Scofield the coiled part of the earpiece are generally designed for two things:

1. The main reason is well it’s just a acoustic tube that requires the coil to be there to condense the sound waves into audio on the other end.
Without the coil you would not hear anything or it would be very very muffled. It is not like a normal earbud as it strictly is just a acoustic tube with a earpiece that fits in the canal with no electronics in the earpiece end

Sound waves are well wavy ! And having a coil allows the sound waves to bounce in such a way to produce the Audio you would hear at the end.

2. The coil also somewhat allows the earpiece to stay in place. If you have ever had Bluetooth earbuds that are connected to each ear via a cable, then hopefully you understand the concern when you only use one earbud to listen to music. Every time I’ve done that because one of my earbuds is dangling it causes the other one to pop out over time.

StewartJames

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

comfort- it stretches (you can turn your head since it's often clipped on the collar at the bottom hidden away)
Also there are no wires in that tube, the sound is essentially “pushed up” by a speaker at the bottom