nrlds

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

its a genuine question, and it really sucks waiting so long for a report sometimes while you see several other staff actively roleplaying. every other server would have a staff member take my sit under 2 minutes. are there just that many sits that you feel its not worth it to help? I'm tired of complaining about this and really want to see why.....

Tru

Monolith Veteran

Years of Mono

LV

Most of the time staff can be taking reports and responding to them and you won’t even know about it. Staff don’t have to be on duty to take reports.

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

We're all volunteers, and we do it because we enjoy the game and the community. We enjoy playing the game just like you guys do, but it can be hard to find time to just play the game normally at times. We try to strike a balance between regular play and staff duty, but sometimes it results in a slower than ideal response time, especially when there is a lot of other tickets. Another thing to consider is that like Tru said a lot of the time when people complain that staff aren't taking tickets, the reality is that there's actually a backlog of tickets and they simply haven't gotten to their ticket yet.

Sokolov

Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Monolith used to have a reputation over 2 years ago of having quick response staff who could handle sits within a short time from effectively... At least when I was in the staff team, quality has degraded with response times increasing by 4x.

Staff volunteered their time yes, no report however should be sitting there unanswered for more then 20-30 mins, it infuriates the player base and worsens the player to staff relationship.

It is sad that management in recent history had to implement rewards for staff doing what the volunteered to do in the form of for example the "staff on duty" payment. yet reports get left unanswered for ridiculous times, all to offer incentives to staff to do their role they volunteered for.

I was an SA way back, I understand how frustrating reports can be and stack up but you signed up for that position. Its not really that hard to just handle reports, I would never leave a report sitting for over 20 mins, nor would my old collogues from back then.

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

Its not really that hard to just handle reports, I would never leave a report sitting for over 20 mins, nor would my old collogues from back then.
Sometimes a bit easier said than done. For example, when I'm playing as a firefighter, of course its simple enough to just hop on reports if they stack too much. But if I choose to do something with a bit more time commitment (Running a shop, making drugs, crafting), it becomes more difficult to just "hop onto" tickets.

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

I don't enjoy bitching about anything, so I don't often do, unless I really care about a topic. In this case, I care about the success or failure of this server. So I feel it worthy to mention that when people talk about longer than 30 mins wait time, they are talking about sometimes 1hour+ wait time to respond to tickets.

Of course, if you wait an hour to respond to a ticket, many if not most people would give up hope of having their ticket answered. And in fact, those same people may be less likely to even file reports in the future. As a result, toxic and destructive behavior becomes encouraged, because it isn't adressed or punished. We are on a curve right now, where wait times appear to be getting longer. And the longer they get, the more daring rulebreakers become, to the point where constructive players gradually leave and the destructive ones are left.

I would be remiss to complain without offering some kind of solution. So I propose the following:

Assuming the problem is there is enough staff, but they are not contributing:

In the current model, it seems staff are rewarded for their contribution. But they can also decide how much they want to contribute. Perhaps, staff should be required to contribute a minimum amount of time to keep their benefits and role. The same way one wouldn't allow a moderator to continue holding his role if he was gone on vacation for months, so too, if a moderator is only spending 10 minutes a week moderating and ignoring issues the rest of the time, perhaps they shouldn't be in that role.

Assuming the problem is that staff contribute alot, but there isn't enough staff:

Perhaps, some more active recruitment is in order. I think there are probably a good number of people who would be willing to help moderate if given the chance. Instead of applying for moderator or admin directly, maybe a path to mod/admin could be defined. e.g 1. Become a mentor for x amount of time. 2. apply with written application and be approved, or be selected for mod and hold that for x amount of time 3. some kind of selection/approval process for admin.

Once an effective plan is in place to increase moderation, and thereby reduce the rising curve of toxcity on the server, there will likely be a period of recovery which won't be easy. But once things stabilize, I'm sure that the kinds of players the server attracts will be increasingly be more constructive, to the point where overly toxic players, will become bored and leave. And as long as the situation remains stable, this state will be easily enough maintained.

Last edited:

itz_coffee

Developer
Developer
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Perhaps, staff should be required to contribute a minimum amount of time to keep their benefits and role
that already happens
maybe a path to mod/admin could be defined. e.g 1. Become a guide for x amount of time. 2. apply with written application and be approved, or be selected for mod and hold that for x amount of time 3. some kind of selection/approval process for admin
also happens

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

that already happens

also happens

In that case, maybe the values of Minimum contribution required, or active recruitment of Mentors should be adjusted.

The only other solution I have is maybe, enacting a resolution policy for sits/tickets to ensure they are being resolved in a way that is effecient to a staff member's time.

I'm hesitant to suggest adjusting incentives. But maybe that's an option too. What's clear though, is that something must be done.

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

Could maybe give Mentors some sort of administration powers. i.e taking reports, kicking people, warning people, phys-gunning people and teleporting.

Mentor requirements should become stricter of course.
That's called a moderator.

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

That's called a moderator.
While this may be true, Mentors could at least possibly be used to Triage issues. e.g. filter out all the RDM issues so they are addressed first. Building on @ItWasAFlickBro s idea to potentially have a Mentor do more.

So I suggest the kinds of tasks that can expand a Mentor's scope will be

1. Informative (e.g. Triage)
2. Non-permanent (e.g. Kicks, or temporary mutes)

The main concern is that if Mentor's are given too much power, they could cause even more overhead for mods and admins. So a balance has to be struck.

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

No, a moderator would be a mentor with extra shit.
A mentor would be a moderator but with less access.
While this may be true, Mentors could at least possibly be used to Triage issues. e.g. filter out all the RDM issues so they are addressed first.
The primary purpose of the mentor role is to guide new players. If you gave mentors the tools needed to do what you're asking they'd literally just have the same requirements as moderators and be made redundant. Mentor, while a good stepping stone into staff is explicitly not staff.

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I completely understand that, but im suggesting to adjust the purpose of a mentor.
To reiterate, if mentors could teleport, view logs/reports, kicking, etc, they would have the exact same minimum requirements as trial moderators. There would no longer be purpose to their existence.

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

The primary purpose of the mentor role is to guide new players. If you gave mentors the tools needed to do what you're asking they'd literally just have the same requirements as moderators and be made redundant. Mentor, while a good stepping stone into staff is explicitly not staff.

Yeah, I won't belabor this point anymore. It seems like that assuming that staff are really doing their best and their contributions can't be adjusted, the only avenue left is more active recruitment and promotion.

However, I still think Triage (or other form of classification) is an important concept. If you can't give this task to some specific role (mentor), then perhaps, you can add a button in the UI to allow players to self-Triage, along with a guide to do so e.g. RDM = High, FPS-Lag/someone called you a name = Low. While people won't always properly Triage, perhaps it can in some way allow the most important issues to be adressed first, for the cost of an additional ui element and ticket property.

Dobarion

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

its a genuine question, and it really sucks waiting so long for a report sometimes while you see several other staff actively roleplaying. every other server would have a staff member take my sit under 2 minutes. are there just that many sits that you feel its not worth it to help? I'm tired of complaining about this and really want to see why.....

Hello @nrlds ,

As a former staff member (Administrator), the question is pretty straightforward with an answer. It's understandable to feel as if staff is ignoring your reports in comparison to other communities but the role of the staff team (Senior Administrator, Administrator, Moderator, Trial Moderator) do not just include handling in-game reports, they have a number of other responsibilities through for instance their sub-teams they might be on and therefore they could be busy handling that, this could be event management/creation, training of new staff/monitoring, in-game refunding or reviewing a player and so on. In addition, some reports do take priority depending on the situation and sometimes the contexts, if users do not include enough information staff sometimes comment for more to be added while they handle other tickets that have the full information, but it can also be based on the issue of the report, for instance, a mass random deathmatch (rdm) will always come first to a report of fail roleplay.

No system is perfect and things take time, there is more behind-the-scenes stuff going on that most users see and therefore staff may be busy but keep in mind they are also players, and although they have a title it could be a time when they are having a break.

They don't have much purpose right now tbh. If they need help people usually ask in OOC and there is usually people who respond.

Would be nice if Mentors could also contribute towards reports in some way.

Interesting but not possible suggestion @ItWasAFlickBro ,

The Mentor Program handles questions through the help system, only via chat and sometimes in person if asked by staff for a specific reason. Mentors make a great contribution to problem-solving and supporting the server as it's an uncommon role kind of in the game and most people goto staff but in a way you are contributing towards reports, even though you don't have access most people if its question wise will be referred to the help system.

Reactions: Mak

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

They don't have much purpose right now tbh. If they need help people usually ask in OOC and there is usually people who respond.

Would be nice if Mentors could also contribute towards reports in some way.

I can see how this can be the case sometimes, but it's usually not.

Yes, I understand the system, i'm suggesting more responsibilities for mentors because their job is already done by the community most of the time.

I must say /ooc is no replacement for !help. While *many* helpful people do exist in the community and do respond helpfully in ooc, many people will also respond to requests for help with toxic comments such as "go ask your mom", or "figure it out noob". Not to mention, the now 8 minute cooldown on ooc makes it impractical as an avenue for receiving in game help.

Which brings me to another point, there are quite long periods of time with absolutely no staff or moderation, where the server goes to complete shit. People start RDMing, VDMing, cursing, and generally acting toxic. And since, only a small number of people record everything that happens, and even smaller number of those choose to report the chaos, there are long periods of abuse, with little to no repurcussion, further contributing to the growing toxicity.

I certainly do see a place for a role which includes limited chat moderation abilities and the ability to contact a mod or admin outside of the game, or at least document events they witness or hear about, such as mass RDM.

Also, It would be nice if tickets survived a player logging out if they don't already. Because if they don't then alot of chaos will go unhandled.

Mak

Top Fragger 2023
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

many people will also respond to requests for help with toxic comments such as "go ask your mom", or "figure it out noob".
Through out my staffing career and my mentoring career I have seen this once or twice, but that was a long time ago. Within this time period many people have changed, and I see tons of new faces helping out new players, which is very wonderful.

Not to mention, the now 8 minute cooldown on ooc makes it impractical as an avenue for receiving in game help.
It's not often we have such a high timer, unless people misuse OOC and so on. Also !help is a very good option to seek help in, we have many active mentors ready to guide and or answer your question + and if no Mentors are on at the current time, staff also tent to respond and help you out.

Which brings me to another point, there are quite long periods of time with absolutely no staff or moderation, where the server goes to complete shit. People start RDMing, VDMing, cursing, and generally acting toxic. And since, only a small number of people record everything that happens, and even smaller number of those choose to report the chaos, there are long periods of abuse, with little to no repurcussion, further contributing to the growing toxicity.
Like mentioned by SCOTTISH, we do have other responsibilities as a Staff Member. Also reports can sometimes take time to get to, since we might be roleplaying, helping out our teams, and other reports. Keep in mind that tons of other reports also come in, and each report can take a long time depending on the report. If you also have evidence of a player breaching a rule and we haven't gotten to your report yet, you always have a second solution. We have a section here on the forums called 'Player Reports', where you can report the rulebreaks you have witnessed with evidence; preferbaly a video and or a screen shot might be enough in some instances.

Also, It would be nice if tickets survived a player logging out if they don't already. Because if they don't then alot of chaos will go unhandled.
This is why we encourage players to record as often as they can, because when the reported party log off and you have evidence of the player breaking a rule you can go make a Player Report on the forums and it will be handled accordingly. Though sometimes logs will be enough to deem a rulebreak occurring, but it depends on what you're reporting them for since we prefer to know their side of the story.

Hope this answered some of your questions/concerns,
Sincerely, Mak

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Thanks for the detailed responses @Mak

PMX

Monolith God
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Perhaps, some more active recruitment is in order. I think there are probably a good number of people who would be willing to help moderate if given the chance. Instead of applying for moderator or admin directly, maybe a path to mod/admin could be defined. e.g 1. Become a mentor for x amount of time. 2. apply with written application and be approved, or be selected for mod and hold that for x amount of time 3. some kind of selection/approval process for admin.
We already do a lot recruitment wise, including some of the things you mentioned. However, it is still hard to find qualified people to join our staff team:
  • Some of our Senior Administrators conduct regular mentor interviews (nothing like staff interview), to make sure we are able to bring a few mentors on board, at a time;
  • There is already a "path" from mentor to trial moderator that we created in the past. Currently, specific mentors may be encouraged to join the staff team (after being a mentor for at least 2 weeks), by one of our Senior Administrators and above, after they pass a staff interview. This means they do not have to write an application on the forums, in order to become staff;
  • Our recruitment team members usually scout for new potential candidates on the server, etc, in order to encourage them to apply for staff.

I must say /ooc is no replacement for !help. While *many* helpful people do exist in the community and do respond helpfully in ooc, many people will also respond to requests for help with toxic comments such as "go ask your mom", or "figure it out noob". Not to mention, the now 8 minute cooldown on ooc makes it impractical as an avenue for receiving in game help.
It is precisely because of such toxicity and regular complaints in OOC that its cooldown is set to be high. When people are on the server, they are supposed to roleplay instead of using OOC to complain about anything or metagame (which usually happens). We also had to disable LOOC for people that are dead because it was being used in order to spread toxicity (calling people out for "cheats", calling them names, etc).

Unfortunately, our staff team is not able to supervise the server 24/7, since we do not have staff members from all timezones and most of them also have jobs, school, college real life issues to deal with.

This will not be the case, as there is a section on the forums for "Player Reports". When you log out from the server, the ticket disappears. We require all parties involved to be on the server at the time the ticket is claimed, in order to make sure we hear everyone out. In case there is video evidence, a forums player report can be submitted.

So I suggest the kinds of tasks that can expand a Mentor's scope will be

1. Informative (e.g. Triage)
2. Non-permanent (e.g. Kicks, or temporary mutes)

The main concern is that if Mentor's are given too much power, they could cause even more overhead for mods and admins. So a balance has to be struck.
Mentors are supposed to assist people on the server and that is why the selection process is not as strict as for staff. Therefore, they won't have any administrative powers on the server or be able to deal with reports.

Staff volunteered their time yes, no report however should be sitting there unanswered for more then 20-30 mins, it infuriates the player base and worsens the player to staff relationship.

It is sad that management in recent history had to implement rewards for staff doing what the volunteered to do in the form of for example the "staff on duty" payment. yet reports get left unanswered for ridiculous times, all to offer incentives to staff to do their role they volunteered for.
We understand that, and are always working to make sure staff members contribute to the community and feel appreciated for their work. Because, believe it or not, we do appreciate it. I also have been there, as an Administrator, when you were a Senior Administrator, and I know how much time a staff member usually dedicates to the community.

At the end of the day, we will keep seeking for new people to recruit and to bring on board of our staff team. However, there will always be a very selective process in place, to choose new staff members. In addition to that, we are always open to receive new applications. So, if any of you wants to help the team, server and community, feel free to apply for staff on our forums! If you have any questions, let me, a Server Director or a member of the Recruitment Team know. https://monolithservers.com/forums/threads/staff-application-format-and-rules.24641/

thp314

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

@PMX Thanks for addressing so many of my points.

I look forward to seeing this community grow in a healthy manner.