Scofield

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

Alright, so this isn't a formal suggestion, just something I want your opinion on. From my experiences of being both a mentor and a staff member, I think that mentors willingness and abilty to help people are limited by just having access to !help and OOC cooldown.

I was thinking, that the mentor system should be overhauled to make it slightly stricter to become mentor, and requiring more from mentors, but with bigger rewards and perks. I will split this in 3 sections.

Section 1: More opportunities to help new players and the community in general

So I was thinking that we have a more formal way of introducing new players and to show them around. This could maybe be done by an mentor NPC at town hall or something, where mentors can have like a similar thing of 'going on duty' where they will be given godmode and a basic and recognizable vehicle (so players don't have RP interactions with it, as they know its an OOC mentor tour). There will also have to be several rules surrounding this to ensure that it doesn't get abused, e.g. you cannot take weapons out when on duty, you cannot drive recklessly or do crime e.t.c. Staff should also get notified when a mentor goes on duty for 2 reasons. 1) We can make sure that mentors don't go on duty unnecessarily (e.g. to show it off to their friends, or just for a free car, so we can check that they are actually helping players out), and 2) So that staff can start to see which mentors are active within their roles, and go above and beyond their duties, which can help us to choose potential staff candidates. They could also have a more pivotal role in events, I'm not sure what that could entail, but I have seen great work from mentors such as @Balldrip where they ran their own RP enhancement so maybe we could explore something around this avenue? Not sure what this would entail, but maybe having some way to support mentor's RP enhancements, such as compensating them for renting out places such as the stakehouse or 5 oclock to make it easier for them to run it.

I am welcome to more ideas on ways they can help other players out.

Section 2: Make it harder but also more desirable to be a mentor.

Mentors should be treated as potential staff members, and they should use this role to prove that they have the attributes to help the community, and the responsibility to use their new powers and privileges appropriately. As a result, there should be a more thorough vetting process due to mentors having a bigger impact on the community, similar to the staff vetting procedure, and they should have to apply on the forums, so it is visible to all staff members, so multiple members of the recruitment team can give their input on their opinion of the candidate. No changes will be made to people who are already mentor, it is just for new recruitment.

Section 3: More mentor perks

As a result of us asking more for mentors we could give more perks to mentors, to help boost mentor recruitment and so that it will be seen as a more serious role but also desirable role. Some of these could include:
  • A mentor tag for the forums
  • A mentor discord channel (That all staff has access to, so we can make sure that they behave in it. It should mainly be a way for us to staff and mentors to communicate between ourselves, and so that we can get to know mentors a little better, again there's the benefit of looking who's active in their roles and are giving good suggestions and input to us)
  • A perk where we as staff members can change the colors or skins of their police cars if they request it (Our policy is that we should only change the bodygroups of player's police cars, and not actual skins or colors of them, so this could be a unique perk that just makes it more desirable.
  • Compensation for money they spent on running RP enhancements.
^These perks all seem fairly manageable to implement, as they are all adapted features of what staff already has access to.

Like I said before, this isn't a formal suggestion or anything, its just a concept I thought of, so I am looking forward to your opinions on it.

Reactions: Mak

Balldrip

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I support this fully and I think every point you stated here was said perfectly and I couldn't have said it better myself. I think mentors should be treated in a little more professionally if that makes sense. I don't want to keep this going on for too long, but like I said before this is gold

Mak

Top Fragger 2023
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I like the ideas you have in mind, and I support this a lot. As Mr. Balldrip said, these points you stated were definitely said perfectly, and in my opinion some of this should become reality.

Dobarion

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Alright, so this isn't a formal suggestion, just something I want your opinion on. From my experiences of being both a mentor and a staff member, I think that mentors willingness and abilty to help people are limited by just having access to !help and OOC cooldown.

I was thinking, that the mentor system should be overhauled to make it slightly stricter to become mentor, and requiring more from mentors, but with bigger rewards and perks. I will split this in 3 sections.

Section 1: More opportunities to help new players and the community in general

So I was thinking that we have a more formal way of introducing new players and to show them around. This could maybe be done by an mentor NPC at town hall or something, where mentors can have like a similar thing of 'going on duty' where they will be given godmode and a basic and recognizable vehicle (so players don't have RP interactions with it, as they know its an OOC mentor tour). There will also have to be several rules surrounding this to ensure that it doesn't get abused, e.g. you cannot take weapons out when on duty, you cannot drive recklessly or do crime e.t.c. Staff should also get notified when a mentor goes on duty for 2 reasons. 1) We can make sure that mentors don't go on duty unnecessarily (e.g. to show it off to their friends, or just for a free car, so we can check that they are actually helping players out), and 2) So that staff can start to see which mentors are active within their roles, and go above and beyond their duties, which can help us to choose potential staff candidates. They could also have a more pivotal role in events, I'm not sure what that could entail, but I have seen great work from mentors such as @Balldrip where they ran their own RP enhancement so maybe we could explore something around this avenue? Not sure what this would entail, but maybe having some way to support mentor's RP enhancements, such as compensating them for renting out places such as the stakehouse or 5 oclock to make it easier for them to run it.

I am welcome to more ideas on ways they can help other players out.

Section 2: Make it harder but also more desirable to be a mentor.

Mentors should be treated as potential staff members, and they should use this role to prove that they have the attributes to help the community, and the responsibility to use their new powers and privileges appropriately. As a result, there should be a more thorough vetting process due to mentors having a bigger impact on the community, similar to the staff vetting procedure, and they should have to apply on the forums, so it is visible to all staff members, so multiple members of the recruitment team can give their input on their opinion of the candidate. No changes will be made to people who are already mentor, it is just for new recruitment.

Section 3: More mentor perks

As a result of us asking more for mentors we could give more perks to mentors, to help boost mentor recruitment and so that it will be seen as a more serious role but also desirable role. Some of these could include:
  • A mentor tag for the forums
  • A mentor discord channel (That all staff has access to, so we can make sure that they behave in it. It should mainly be a way for us to staff and mentors to communicate between ourselves, and so that we can get to know mentors a little better, again there's the benefit of looking who's active in their roles and are giving good suggestions and input to us)
  • A perk where we as staff members can change the colors or skins of their police cars if they request it (Our policy is that we should only change the bodygroups of player's police cars, and not actual skins or colors of them, so this could be a unique perk that just makes it more desirable.
  • Compensation for money they spent on running RP enhancements.
^These perks all seem fairly manageable to implement, as they are all adapted features of what staff already has access to.

Like I said before, this isn't a formal suggestion or anything, its just a concept I thought of, so I am looking forward to your opinions on it.

Hey @Scofield ,

The suggestion/idea to provide users on the Mentor Program with more features and recognition is interesting, to start, as a member of the MRP Recruitment Team I think the Mentor Program as outlined on the thread is a good way for users to teach and answer other users questions, this allows staff to primarily focus on rule violations or other technical issues. Reading your suggestions, I do not agree on a majority; providing mentors with the ability to split from in-character to out like staff isn't necessary and with new users, they mainly just need to understand and read what is before them as many do not in which they ignore support (automatic announcements on the server, e.g. !help <text>). If Mentors explain properly how to access the MonoTablet and use the map to navigate I think this will be much easier and better without having any issues. On the other hand, it could be a good idea for the development/media team to create/implement a tutorial video showcasing key areas on the MonoFord Map which can be added in-game for users to see.

Mentors/users operate through the same process to become a member of the staff team, although users in the Mentor Program sometimes do not have to make a written application they still go through the other areas, certain users with prior punishment histories can get on the to the Mentor Program easier than the staff team as there are fewer permissions/abilities in which they can use, these users normally have a fairly good understanding of the game mode, key rules and always support players.

In terms of more enhancement and recognition, the users within the Mentor Program do not really need it; in time users will more likely be given more perks and rewards for their contribution to enhancing roleplay, and in terms of recognition, Mentors do not really need a tag on the forum as these are primarily given to Staff and members on the Mentor team wouldn't receive any access from that tag which staff tags receive. Lastly, your vehicle modification concept; staff do not modify users vehicles normally or provide any vehicles for safety and control, suggesting to give them the ability to modify skins of a vehicle is interesting but not required and would be hard to implement.

Overall, I like your suggestion/discussion but I do not think the sections you covered are necessary, so far it would more likely cause issues and confusion.

Thanks,
SCOTTISH