TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Hey,

I was thinking of discussing something rather than instantly making a suggestion. The topic is mainly about the PD structure and hierarchy. From my short time here on Monolith & the forums I see PD is a pretty controversial topic.

I must say I don't have tons of PD experience in Monolith, but some. Also I have talked to some experienced PD players about this. Currently it feels like there is no hierarchy unless someone has it by character. The ranks don't feel respected in communication and decision making, also in tasks (but idk if you guys want the task to be independent of PD rank).

So, correct me if I am wrong:
- Police chief, assistant police chief and lieutenant are commanding ranks within the PD. (1+1+2 = 4 'commanders')
- The sergeants are supposed to lead situations, chases, raids, help out the lower PD ranks. (4+2 = 6 'micro leaders')
- Then there is PC Deputy, officers & Tow drivers (8 + 2 + 2 + inf. + 3)
- The backbone of a PD should be it's officers. A factory doesn't need 6 managers and 2 workers, rather the other way around!

Debatable questions (please address with replying the question number you are replying to)

1. Should the commanding ranks be whitelisted?
- Other RP servers outside of Gmod have this as a standard. I saw we have PD training sessions, maybe to get a commanding rank you need to go through training & the "trainer(s)" decides if you can go up. With whitelisted I do not mean an admin who never plays PD whitelists people, I mean we vote or the admin chooses a 'PD captain/trainer/manager' and he manages the higher ranks of the PD. If this is the case you can also give the higher ranks more rights to actually force the hierarchy, since you only shove up trusted, good and experienced PD'ers. We can train the commanding ranks to be commanders rather than experienced police officers. If they wish to play police officer, Officer I, officer II & Officer III are also open for higher PD ranks =). Being an experienced police officer doesn't make you a commander, it makes you an experienced police officer.

2. Should the micro-leader ranks be whitelisted or temporarily blacklisted?
- Again, this is fairly common in other RP servers. I have no opinion of this. The commanding ranks could take control of the micro-leaders to train them to be actual micro-leaders and not experienced ticket writers. Another suggestion could be that it's not whitelisted, but rather (temporarily) blacklisted by commanding ranks or just the PD manager until they prove their worthiness.

3. The distribution of the ranks online even, which you don't want.
In my experience there is roughly as much regular PD, micro-leading PD & commanding PD online. This should look more like a pyramid distribution, the higher the rank, the less people there are. And this is tried by capping the higher ranks, but it doesn't seem to cut it. When people play PD, they just click on the highest rank they can rather then actually playing that role in the PD. The question rises, do you need 4 commanders & 6 micro-leaders? If you want it to be a pyramid, you need like 15+ officers then. How often do you see 25 PD online? How about, 1 chief, 1 ass. chief, 1 LT, 2-3 sergeants, everyone else will be regular officers. Also 50%+ of the PD runs around with assault rifles, unless you are in the 3rd world, this is kinda weird.

4. The commanding officers can also work closely with the mayor to manage the budget.
It feels like currently people are just spending the budget like crazy and ask the mayor for budget. I don't think this improves QoL for anyone. Taxes are high for civilians and being mayor can also be a pain.

A big downside is, this will require a select few group of people will have to take some responsibility and invest time in this. Another downside is some people might be upset that they lose their rank, but let's be honest, most are not utilizing the rank anyway. The upside is, it will create a much more organized and fun PD, buffing the PD in that way and there will be less PD walking around with assault rifles. It will also just be more fun to play PD, less arguments and complaining in police radio. I hope this way, sergeants, LT's & chiefs aren't experienced police officers. I think the GTA FiveM roleplay have this topic down almost perfectly. Every critical public service department is whitelisted, even the lowest rank (PD, Health care, Fire Dep.). I think whitelisting EVERY rank doesn't fit in the nature of Gmod, but to have a more critical eye on leaders is maybe a good idea.

If you have any more debatable questions about PD hierarchy or structure, leave a comment and I will add it to the list!

I invested quite some time in this talking to people, continuously watching the PD online distribution in ranks, etc. I hope even in disagreement you guys can be polite. If we can find a consensus about some topic, I will make a thread in suggestions!

Greetings,

TheCalculusHero
Jillian Hayes

Last edited:

Alphadef

Monolith Addict

Years of Mono

LV

I know the staff (at least at the top levels) is pretty against the idea of whitelisting pd (personally I lean towards no whitelist as well), but I do remember seeing on the Trello something about potentially implementing vote for chief (although I don't think its currently being worked on) which would help a little with what you're talking about

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

I know the staff (at least at the top levels) is pretty against the idea of whitelisting pd (personally I lean towards no whitelist as well), but I do remember seeing on the Trello something about potentially implementing vote for chief (although I don't think its currently being worked on) which would help a little with what you're talking about
Could you elaborate why no whitelist for just the higher ranks, not PD in general. Currently this is my view: Being an experienced police officer doesn't make you a commander, it makes you an experienced police officer.

If that was the case, we would all work at a Shell gas station as cashier and end up as CEO just because we are good at being a cashier.

Also, whitelisting is not the only solution to the problem just a really easy and common one. If that is not acceptable by the community and staff, we could find another way. That is also a reason why I started a debate and not a suggestion

Kevin Hansen

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

There is days i really wish for whitelisted cops, but i dont see them being better. It would make it better structured, you can make them train for situations so they know what to do etc. Which this pd really needs. But i dont see that happening.

Hector

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

whitelists for PD are not going to happen, been denied so many times.

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

whitelists for PD are not going to happen, been denied so many times.
The point of this debate is not to just say, "not going to happen", but rather think together to solve the issues at hand. Blacklist certain people is also a thing, more and/or forced training, tools for commanding officers, change of distribution. So many options available.

Dobarion

Monolith Addict
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

monoford_logo_v2.png

Hiya @TheCalculusHero ,

Note: I'm currently on LOA (leave of absence) so if do not reply to any questions from my response then you may private message me directly as I shall be notified.

To address your discussion as a member of the staff team and multiple internal teams within the server/community I'm going to split your subjects with my response for each, hopefully, it shall be easy to understand and not repetitive but also include the necessary information from my experience and knowledge.

I must say I don't have tons of PD experience in Monolith, but some. Also I have talked to some experienced PD players about this. Currently it feels like there is no hierarchy unless someone has it by character. The ranks don't feel respected in communication and decision making, also in tasks (but idk if you guys want the task to be independent of PD rank).

So, correct me if I am wrong:
- Police chief, assistant police chief and lieutenant are commanding ranks within the PD. (1+1+2 = 4 'commanders')
- The sergeants are supposed to lead situations, chases, raids, help out the lower PD ranks. (4+2 = 6 'micro leaders')
- Then there is PC Deputy, officers & Tow drivers (8 + 2 + 2 + inf. + 3)
- The backbone of a PD should be it's officers. A factory doesn't need 6 managers and 2 workers, rather the other way around!

The Police Department/Law Enforcement of Monolith in the current state is under-development (in my opinion), nothing is perfect and many areas are still in progress, we do have a team working on improving the enhancement of law enforcement roleplay (As you can see I'm an FTO within this team) and therefore benefiting all parties/sectors.

In terms of the hierarchy of command, supervisors and general officers/employees:
~
(1) Command:
- Chief of Police
- Assistant Chief Of Police

(2) Supervisors:
- Lieutenant
- S.W.A.T. Commander
- Sergeants (Grade 1-3)

(3) Officers:
- S.W.A.T. Officer (Incl. Sniper)
- Detectives
- Officers
- Deputies
- Tow Truck Officers

(Hopefully included all ranks)

1. Should the commanding ranks be whitelisted?
- Other RP servers outside of Gmod have this as a standard. I saw we have PD training sessions, maybe to get a commanding rank you need to go through training & the "trainer(s)" decides if you can go up. With whitelisted I do not mean an admin who never plays PD whitelists people, I mean we vote or the admin chooses a 'PD captain/trainer/manager' and he manages the higher ranks of the PD. If this is the case you can also give the higher ranks more rights to actually force the hierarchy, since you only shove up trusted, good and experienced PD'ers. We can train the commanding ranks to be commanders rather than experienced police officers. If they wish to play police officer, Officer I, officer II & Officer III are also open for higher PD ranks =). Being an experienced police officer doesn't make you a commander, it makes you an experienced police officer.

Whitelisting of Departments on Monolith is a long-standing debate, as announced and decided by community management, whitelisting will not be approved for these types of "jobs" as there are many factors which can affect the full cycle of the server and therefore not beneficial, I do believe this has been tried before and didn't work out but maybe later in time this may change. I'll give some reasons for whitelisting being disapproved. for example:
  • Monolith Roleplay Server is level-based and therefore whitelisting will remove this key aspect of the server
  • Previously tested and failed
  • As many players have seen on servers, not all people can be on and the higher the rank, the fewer people whitelisted and therefore a serious divide in factions will more likely form, splitting the circle in Monolith
  • More administrative work would need to be installed, including further development on the main server
In addition, the suggestion for additional privileges to potential new management roleplay ranks within law enforcement is understandable but not possible, many different aspects of the internal and external department factors would need to be changed, more supervision and a higher possibility rate of issues/events that are not positive.

2. Should the micro-leader ranks be whitelisted or temporarily blacklisted?
- Again, this is fairly common in other RP servers. I have no opinion of this. The commanding ranks could take control of the micro-leaders to train them to be actual micro-leaders and not experienced ticket writers. Another suggestion could be that it's not whitelisted, but rather (temporarily) blacklisted by commanding ranks or just the PD manager until they prove their worthiness.

Briefly covering this, the Police Department Training Team have policies in development which allow current MPD Police Training Members (FTO) to restrict certain players from commanding (high responsibility) roleplay jobs such as Police Chief so the department can be appropriately managed, this has been done a couple of times but enforcement and introduction of a department policy are in the works.

3. The distribution of the ranks online even, which you don't want.
In my experience there is roughly as much regular PD, micro-leading PD & commanding PD online. This should look more like a pyramid distribution, the higher the rank, the less people there are. And this is tried by capping the higher ranks, but it doesn't seem to cut it. When people play PD, they just click on the highest rank they can rather then actually playing that role in the PD. The question rises, do you need 4 commanders & 6 micro-leaders? If you want it to be a pyramid, you need like 15+ officers then. How often do you see 25 PD online? How about, 1 chief, 1 ass. chief, 1 LT, 2-3 sergeants, everyone else will be regular officers. Also 50%+ of the PD runs around with assault rifles, unless you are in the 3rd world, this is kinda weird.

I understand your standpoint on the distribution of internal ranks of management but the current caps/max of LEO jobs are based on our total max player count for the server, possibly you could suggest the Development Team restrict the number of LEO's per rank based on current player count (I think that's possible but would have to be put in a major update). Leadership and management of Law Enforcement is still a work in progress which is why training is being implemented and better introduced/enforced, to enhance the experience and knowledge of these players. In addition, weapon choices/selection of class threes always deployed as a semi-unrealistic factor but bear in mind we are still playing a game in which has many flaws and a larger majority of high-level criminal activity and therefore a class three is better suited (Consider Monolith, a slightly cleaner, less criminal Gotham City, and without Batman, but with magical gods/demons that take people every now and then).

4. The commanding officers can also work closely with the mayor to manage the budget.
It feels like currently people are just spending the budget like crazy and ask the mayor for budget. I don't think this improves QoL for anyone. Taxes are high for civilians and being mayor can also be a pain.

A big downside is, this will require a select few group of people will have to take some responsibility and invest time in this. Another downside is some people might be upset that they lose their rank, but let's be honest, most are not utilizing the rank anyway. The upside is, it will create a much more organized and fun PD, buffing the PD in that way and there will be less PD walking around with assault rifles. It will also just be more fun to play PD, less arguments and complaining in police radio. I hope this way, sergeants, LT's & chiefs aren't experienced police officers. I think the GTA FiveM roleplay have this topic down almost perfectly. Every critical public service department is whitelisted, even the lowest rank (PD, Health care, Fire Dep.). I think whitelisting EVERY rank doesn't fit in the nature of Gmod, but to have a more critical eye on leaders is maybe a good idea.

A rework of the Mayoral system is currently in the works, as announced by the Development Team, more additives may be added for Law Enforcement in terms of taxation or restriction/management. In addition, there are too many factors in which buffing law enforcement would change the dynamic of the police and make it harder/more unfair for other parties, changes will happen in time but they will be slow as too quick or big changes will not operate smooth and efficient.

Anyway, I hope I've answered a majority of your LEO topic with understandable reasons for your suggestions.

Other Topic/Thread Comments (response):

Yes, as mentioned, LEO whitelisting will not happen as previously decided by Community Management. Whitelisting for the Police Chief position, I do not think this will happen either due to the manipulation of the system if implemented and not beneficial for Law Enforcement players.

There is days i really wish for whitelisted cops, but i dont see them being better. It would make it better structured, you can make them train for situations so they know what to do etc. Which this pd really needs. But i dont see that happening.
The Police Department Training Team, hopefully in time will better organise, structure and reform the LEO aspect of the server for better roleplay enhancement. Training sessions should increase, including dept. policies and information.

Kind Regards,

SCOTTISH

Your favourite, long-standing, MRP Administrator (Currently on LOA)

Last edited:

reqord

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

There simply isn’t a easy answer here because of the servers structure and no whitelist approach. Without a whitelist the PD will never be full of serious people who are properly trained and it will always show and cause many to quit playing. All I’m gonna say is it’s easier to just let it be then post this and get a mockery in the replies of people saying ‘whitelist wont happen dipshit’

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Scottish, you are saying there is a lot in development. Why isn't the staff transparent and let people give feedback on it? What is in development? What solutions are you guys addressing in the development?

Although I think training is a great initiative, I think it is very naive to think it will help without people forcing through the training and actually make something of it. If this really worked all schools would stop testing and just give lectures. You might be able to train a few motivated individuals, they go to PD and they are commanded by experienced ticket writers. I have had 2 separate assistant chiefs who just drove around writing tickets, while an officer III seemed to be commanding everyone. At the current stage the rank is just a meaningless title & you get some more permissions when you have written an X amount of tickets.

Also, the PD slots is based on max. amount. How much PD should there be on 128 players? 9 Supervisors seems like a lot. Since they are meant to be leading micro situations, are there ever 9 raids at the same time?

You can also change some rules, like;
- Commanders and/or supervisors don't write tickets.
- Commanders do not engage micro battles unless necessary.
- Officers/Supervisors should listen to their superior, where straight ignorance leads to either warnings or temporary ban from PD.

I am just quickly thinking of some things, I am sure if 5-10 experienced minds come together you would have a shit ton of solutions you can choose from. It has proven in the past that if developers keep issues for themselves it is less supported than discussed with the community. I am not just talking about Gmod servers, but massive games like LoL/WoW/SC2.

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

There simply isn’t a easy answer here because of the servers structure and no whitelist approach. Without a whitelist the PD will never be full of serious people who are properly trained and it will always show and cause many to quit playing. All I’m gonna say is it’s easier to just let it be then post this and get a mockery in the replies of people saying ‘whitelist wont happen dipshit’
Maybe I am naive. I think if some experienced people come to have a chat about this, the issue at hand will be partly solved with solutions most people can be happy with.

reqord

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Maybe I am naive. I think if some experienced people come to have a chat about this, the issue at hand will be partly solved with solutions most people can be happy with.
In a actual government only 3.5% of the population need to be on one side for a revolution, in monolith atleast 50% of the community management need to be on board, the people can’t do anything here, the decision is made. No point in fighting.

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

In a actual government only 3.5% of the population need to be on one side for a revolution, in monolith atleast 50% of the community management need to be on board, the people can’t do anything here, the decision is made. No point in fighting.
Whitelist is not the only solution, if they chose the difficult path let them engage with the community to find those solutions. It's very arrogant to think a few people have solutions that everyone will like.

reqord

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Whitelist is not the only solution, if they chose the difficult path let them engage with the community to find those solutions. It's very arrogant to think a few people have solutions that everyone will like.
Bro, you don’t sound the brightest right now. I get that you’ve had cops being absolute dickheads to you and targeting/minging you but your not arguing for a point. You say “engage with the community to find these solutions” instead of coming up with a solution yourself. If you scroll through discussion threads and suggestion threads there are at least 50 people just like you who made their forum account a week before attempting to change a community they don’t know. We all been there but quit making a ass outta yourself big man.

TheCalculusHero

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Bro, you don’t sound the brightest right now. I get that you’ve had cops being absolute dickheads to you and targeting/minging you but your not arguing for a point. You say “engage with the community to find these solutions” instead of coming up with a solution yourself. If you scroll through discussion threads and suggestion threads there are at least 50 people just like you who made their forum account a week before attempting to change a community they don’t know. We all been there but quit making a ass outta yourself big man.
And how often did it actually happen? How often did the staff sit together in a voice-call with a bunch of prominent players like yourself to discuss some topics.

I actually haven't experienced any cops being mingy or have them targeting me. The whole point was, that the PD is a disorganized mess, where chiefs are experienced ticket writers. The other day the chief & assistance chief were sitting on the bridge sitting still for a roadblock. That is not a task of people in commanding positions. But if someone does actually want to play chief, it's impossible since there are a lot of people really good at writing tickets.

I also came with some solutions to it, besides the whitelist.