Do you want a permanent standalone server for this gamemode?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

While i only ever tried hl2rp from monolith it is actually a fun gamemode. HL2RP is fairly rare these days.
+support its the roots for the devs and gurra and think they would be passionate about making it a success.

Monolith has the power to bring a whole range of players to this gamemode that they otherwise would of never explored before.

Lemonpunch days.

WhiteTiger

Mentor
Mentor

Years of Mono

LV

the existing HL2rp servers barely can fill their servers as it is already lmao good luck

FreeSpy

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Previous hl2rp players from impulse or landis will possibly abandon ship and join this if its improved
This.

the existing HL2rp servers barely can fill their servers as it is already lmao good luck
lol
couple servers have been on top for a while

hl2rp guys, myself included like shortform multi day events not the billion hour long stuff we had for the last few years

heyitskev

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

My opinion is my opinion and no one else's.

While this may seem like a good idea, I do think it's best if it stays an LTM for the following reasons:

1. Making it standalone will make it less special. All of Monolith is united for a week for this event, making it permanent will give mono one less thing to look forward to.

2. Staffing Issues. Creating this as a standalone server will require one of two things: Giving all current staff privileges on the new server or getting new staff. Staff would be more likely to pick one server and stay with it, which could hurt the other server more.

3. Development. Someone is going to have to develop the game mode further. Keeping it in it's current state, it would die very quickly. It needs someone to update it in the same way that monolith gets updated. Who is going to do that? Are more developers going to be hired? Are we going to use our current development team? If it's the latter, then less development time will go into monolith, which may result in it dying off and an even more unhappy player base.

4. Player base. Given the fact that Monolith has been on a downhill slope for the past couple of months (in terms of player count), I don't think it's a good idea to split the existing player base in half, as others have mentioned in the replies as well.

5. Cost. I don't have access to Thriving Venture's financials, but the cost of running an additional server, paying developers, and actively maintaining a community is probably not something to be reckoned with. One might argue that it would pay for itself, but ultimately, more players would have to buy into it. Would it be fair to give a player premium benefits on both regular mono and the HL2 server? How are you going to convince someone to pay for premium on both? Are you going to make them chose between one or the other, splitting the player base even more?

Look, I haven't had the chance to play the event yet, but from what I have observed during staff sits and monitoring the server, everyone seems to be enjoying it. However, traditional Monolith and a HL2 rp server can simply not coexist right now from the way I see things. One of them will suffer. Either standard monolith will decline more or the new HL2 server will struggle to get off the ground.

Last edited:

Tadeus

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

While this may seem like a good idea, I do think it's best if it stays an LTM for the following reasons:

1. Making it standalone will make it less special. All of Monolith is united for a week for this event, making it permanent will give mono one less thing to look forward to.

2. Staffing Issues. Creating this as a standalone server will require one of two things: Giving all current staff privileges on the new server or getting new staff. Staff would be more likely to pick one server and stay with it, which could hurt the other server more.

3. Development. Someone is going to have to develop the game mode further. Keeping it in it's current state, it would die very quickly. It needs someone to update it in the same way that monolith gets updated. Who is going to do that? Are more developers going to be hired? Are we going to use our current development team? If it's the latter, then less development time will go into monolith, which may result in it dying off and an even more unhappy player base.

4. Player base. Given the fact that Monolith has been on a downhill slope for the past couple of months (in terms of player count), I don't think it's a good idea to split the existing player base in half, as others have mentioned in the replies as well.

5. Cost. I don't have access to Thriving Venture's financials, but the cost of running an additional server, paying developers, and actively maintaining a community is probably not something to be reckoned with. One might argue that it would pay for itself, but ultimately, more players would have to buy into it. Would it be fair to give player premium benefits on both regular mono and the HL2 server? How are you going to convince someone to pay for premium on both? Are you going to make them chose between one or the other, splitting the player base even more?

Look, I haven't had the chance to play the event yet, but from what I have observed during staff sits and monitoring the server, everyone seems to be enjoying it. However, traditional Monolith and a HL2 rp server can simply not coexist right now from the way I see things. One of them will suffer. Either standard monolith will decline more or the new HL2 server will struggle to get off the ground.

lithiumare-kiracord.gif

Tadeus

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

In all seriousness, do you see the playercount between CityRP and the HL2RP event, it is a drastic change. CityRP was regulating at like 16-21 players, the HL2RP event meanwhile has more 39 players on it regulating with a active playerbase, I do not get what the problem, you have multiple staff members who can do this. CityRP already died 1 year ago, theres no need to repeat that.

unknown.png

Apex

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

5. Cost. I don't have access to Thriving Venture's financials, but the cost of running an additional server, paying developers, and actively maintaining a community is probably not something to be reckoned with. One might argue that it would pay for itself, but ultimately, more players would have to buy into it. Would it be fair to give player premium benefits on both regular mono and the HL2 server? How are you going to convince someone to pay for premium on both? Are you going to make them chose between one or the other, splitting the player base even more?

1. Making it standalone will make it more special, it will also give us much more to look forward to in the future.

2. Staffing could easily be split, considering City RP gets drastically less players

3. Devs put a large amount of effort into this, they clearly want to work on it, as they continue to update it.

4. City RP was dying, however the moment you switched style and many more joined.

5. If I had to choose, I'd much rather the HL2:RP server, it's more active and unique. In my opinion, I would say the HL2 server would thrive.

Brent Skeng

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

1. Making it standalone will make it more special, it will also give us much more to look forward to in the future.

2. Staffing could easily be split, considering City RP gets drastically less players

3. Devs put a large amount of effort into this, they clearly want to work on it, as they continue to update it.

4. City RP was dying, however the moment you switched style and many more joined.

5. If I had to choose, I'd much rather the HL2:RP server, it's more active and unique. In my opinion, I would say the HL2 server would thrive.
Actually the less players there is the more rulebreaks. Ironic ik.

Tadeus

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Bild_2022-03-26_190056.png
"Playercount will be low."

hawke

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I think the pull back for most people opposing a standalone is its harmful effects on the regular City RP server and that's a valid way of looking at it. For those however that do want a standalone, you're gonna need to be sympathetic towards those people who are in opposition towards you because realistically, both can co-exist.

Just have to look beyond the first month and realize that HL2 RP will generate its own playerbase and staff, just like City RP has over the years. One is not going to die because the other exists, they're two distinct genres with two distinct kinds of players.

heyitskev

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

Your points are looking at things from a non mono player perspective, which isn't a bad thing, but because of that reason lots of people will disagree with you.

For your first point, I do somewhat agree with. My statement is a double edged sword. Pouring more development time into it would result in it being more special, but it would take away the "OH MY GOSH WE ONLY GOT A WEEK TO DO THIS GET THE BOIS ON WERE PLAYING MONO" aspect.

For your second point, I completely disagree. Staffing could not easily be split. You are looking at things from a new player perspective. You just joined mono for the first time a couple of days ago. This does not make your opinion invalid, but I feel as if you haven't seen the lack of staff outside of the HL2 event.

For your third point, I do completely agree, but once you focus more on HL2, more focus gets taken off of the regular game mode

For your fourth point, one reason people are joining is because it is not city RP. City RP has its own player base. This event has attracted players who don't play City RP to the server, like yourself. However, I do feel as if a reason that the main Mono game mode has been struggling is due to a lack of content. Development resources have been shifted for the past few weeks to focus on HL2, which is fine, but in order to develop both HL2 RP and Mono, more resources are needed, which from what I can see, we don't have.

heyitskev

Monolith Senior

Years of Mono

LV

I think the pull back for most people opposing a standalone is its harmful effects on the regular City RP server and that's a valid way of looking at it. For those however that do want a standalone, you're gonna need to be sympathetic towards those people who are in opposition towards you because realistically, both can co-exist.

Just have to look beyond the first month and realize that HL2 RP will generate its own playerbase and staff, just like City RP has over the years. One is not going to die because the other exists, they're two distinct genres with two distinct kinds of players.
I'm really not sure that they could co-exist. It would be one of those things that you won't really know unless it's tried. I would be concerned that current staff would migrate over to the new HL2 server and abandon the regular one (Check out who voted yes)

Screenshot 2022-03-26 141833.png

. I also really feel as if directing more development resources to HL2, would harm the regular RP server unless more developers were hired.

HL2 RP would generate it's own player base and it would bring in some more staff members. They are two distinct genres, but diverting resources to work on HL2 RP and getting it off the ground would hurt the development of the base game mode.

Last edited:

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Your points are looking at things from a non mono player perspective, which isn't a bad thing, but because of that reason lots of people will disagree with you.

For your first point, I do somewhat agree with. My statement is a double edged sword. Pouring more development time into it would result in it being more special, but it would take away the "OH MY GOSH WE ONLY GOT A WEEK TO DO THIS GET THE BOIS ON WERE PLAYING MONO" aspect.

For your second point, I completely disagree. Staffing could not easily be split. You are looking at things from a new player perspective. You just joined mono for the first time a couple of days ago. This does not make your opinion invalid, but I feel as if you haven't seen the lack of staff outside of the HL2 event.

For your third point, I do completely agree, but once you focus more on HL2, more focus gets taken off of the regular game mode

For your fourth point, one reason people are joining is because it is not city RP. City RP has its own player base. This event has attracted players who don't play City RP to the server, like yourself. However, I do feel as if a reason that the main Mono game mode has been struggling is due to a lack of content. Development resources have been shifted for the past few weeks to focus on HL2, which is fine, but in order to develop both HL2 RP and Mono, more resources are needed, which from what I can see, we don't have.

To mention the staffing thing, I would love to volunteer.

FreeSpy

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

If a standalone is made make it so it isnt just a reskinned and a bit re-worked cityrp server with hl2 themed shtick

TerraCat474

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

yes please current semi-serious HL2RP is shit rn one server is ran by a 15 year old who is failing classes and a 20 year old pedo we are tired of drama