Do you want a permanent standalone server for this gamemode?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hudson633

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

i cant tell you how wrong you are
Monolith has a lot of Half-Life 2 Roleplay DNA in its roots, and that's probably a good thing. Where CityRP often has short term storylines, HL2RP could be a disciplined space where the sci-fi element helped carry stories quite far. If you had the interest of those HL2RP veterans (who are nostalgic for the gamemode), I think they could add to the roleplay culture of CityRP, assuming they liked the community enough to hang out on both.

There are a lot of HL2RP veterans in the woodwork. A community only needs to offer a good server to see them appear.

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Monolith has a lot of Half-Life 2 Roleplay DNA in its roots, and that's probably a good thing. Where CityRP often has short term storylines, HL2RP could be a disciplined space where the sci-fi element helped carry stories quite far. If you had the interest of those HL2RP veterans (who are nostalgic for the gamemode), I think they could add to the roleplay culture of CityRP, assuming they liked the community enough to hang out on both.

There are a lot of HL2RP veterans in the woodwork. A community only needs to offer a good server to see them appear.

Finally my savior has arrived this is exactly what im on too.

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Finally my savior has arrived this is exactly what im on too.

The problem is though, most of those veterans do not want a semi-serious experience with base building and all of this. They want actual serious roleplay, they want the experience they remember and that isn't what Monolith can/will provide.

Its optimistic to expect much more than what the event was, which is a reskinned cityrp.

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

The problem is though, most of those veterans do not want a semi-serious experience with base building and all of this. They want actual serious roleplay, they want the experience they remember and that isn't what Monolith can/will provide.

Its optimistic to expect much more than what the event was, which is a reskinned cityrp.

You're right, I don't have much of an argument to this but semi-serious hl2rp seems to also be in popularity.

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

You're right, I don't have much of an argument to this but semi-serious hl2rp seems to also be in popularity.

Oh for sure, and you'll probably cater to those exact people - but the problem is, Monolith only really has the dev work and playerbase to go this way and that really makes me question exactly what make this server stand out from CityRP beyond the different setting.

If it is just the setting and nothing else beyond reskins then you're going to struggle to juggle both and invariably one will get axed. I'm looking at the sheer number of bans, appeals and other stuff the staff team have to deal with right now and literally every day and am wondering how that'll work when it'll basically be doubled.

FreeSpy

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

lemonpunch 2013 gristwork event
iu
god.

please..
let lemonpunch die PLEASE

Skojen

Community Manager
Community Manager
Recruitment Team
Forum Moderator
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Although I do support this idea, you'll have to understand that Monolith's roots are embedded from Lemonpunch - Gurra, Hawke and Thy both helped make Half-Life 2 roleplay a success some time ago.

If I remember this correctly, Thy was a Senior Administrator on Lemonpunch and shortly after plans to start a new project in 2016, Thy was offered a Community Manager role for Gurra's new project (Monolith Servers) which launched some time later.

All new project's come with risk. It's never going to be risk-free. But with the previous experience of Gurra, Thy and Hawke that they once had on Lemonpunch, I do strongly believe that it can work.

Those are just my personal opinions.

zachun

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

i cant tell you how wrong you are
Oh what, are you going to tell me that most of the new people that came here just for the HL2RP server play CityRP? No, fuck no. We came here because we want to experience something different from other servers. Sure maybe 45% of the community played on the CityRP server but the rest of 55% more than likely came here to try out the HL2RP server.

Just give the server one week and we'll see if it is going to die or not.

Credence

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Oh what, are you going to tell me that most of the new people that came here just for the HL2RP server play CityRP? No, fuck no. We came here because we want to experience something different from other servers. Sure maybe 45% of the community played on the CityRP server but the rest of 55% more than likely came here to try out the HL2RP server.

Just give the server one week and we'll see if it is going to die or not.
Think your numbers are wrong mate

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

Although I do support this idea, you'll have to understand that Monolith's roots are embedded from Lemonpunch - Gurra, Hawke and Thy both helped make Half-Life 2 roleplay a success some time ago.
But with the previous experience of Gurra, Thy and Hawke that they once had on Lemonpunch, I do strongly believe that it can work.

You have to be really careful with tying this hypothetical server to Lemonpunch just because three members of the staff team worked on it over half a decade ago.

Running a serious text-based HL2RP server like LP was is a whole different ball game to running the type of server Monolith does now. Could Monolith run a good Semi-Serious HL2RP server? Sure, no reason why it couldn't but I think ya'll have to realise it'd probably be a reskinned, slightly modified version of CityRP and not "Lemonpunch 2.0".

Max Vice

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

You have to be really careful with tying this hypothetical server to Lemonpunch just because three members of the staff team worked on it over half a decade ago.

Running a serious text-based HL2RP server like LP was is a whole different ball game to running the type of server Monolith does now. Could Monolith run a good Semi-Serious HL2RP server? Sure, no reason why it couldn't but I think ya'll have to realise it'd probably be a reskinned, slightly modified version of CityRP and not "Lemonpunch 2.0".

I could say it like this: Lemonpunch Semi-Serious Hl2rp.

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

I could say it like this: Lemonpunch Semi-Serious Hl2rp.

Monolith isn't Lemonpunch and never will be. There are other communities that have long since filled the niche LP had and Monolith intentionally didn't do so itself. Nothing this community has will interest that crowd.

It isn't 2017-2019 anymore. As @heyitskev said, there's a serious concern of just not having the resources to split at this point, and even then Monolith won't last long if it switches full time from its CityRP niche.

hawke

Monolith Senior
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

The event version is a CityRP reskin. The aim for the standalone is entirely different.

SillySillyChangXXB

Monolith Newcomer

Years of Mono

LV

The event version is a CityRP reskin. The aim for the standalone is entirely different.

Is the aim to still fill the same niche or will it be an attempt to go 'serious'? Because I can see it clashing heavily with the server culture of the last 5 years and there are other communities that've been scratching that itch for people for a long time now.

Impulse tried to go serious too and it fell flat on its face because the playerbase just didn't play Impulse for that. I can see that being a legitimate issue for Monolith.

The Cool Boy

Monolith Veteran
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

I dont think anyone plays monolith for serious RP, well at least the active playerbase the frequent player count