Status
Not open for further replies.

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

Hello everyone. I've been randomly crashing recently and I can't seem to figure out why I've tried everything on the internet to try and fix it, but I just can't seem to figure it out. It always seem to happen at the worse times, but luckily it haven't happened at a point that would get me banned. I trying to avoid that though. I have all the workshop content downloaded. I've deleted it and re downloaded, but its still crashing. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've attached one of my crash logs if anyone feels they can help.

Attachments

• hl2_200321_crash_2020_3_21T20_44_11C0.txt
    757.2 KB · Views: 11

Jet

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
Media Team
Forum Moderator
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Hey @tjm0429,

After looking over the crash logs, I've noticed it says "Out of memory".

Try closing other processes and tasks before launching into the Game, and also try loading into the game using x64-bit.
Closing Processes & Applications
Right click Task-Bar, and open Task Manager, select ( More Details ) button and then go through and closes applications such as Discord, Browsers, and other Non-Important Applications & Processes.

Changing to x64-bit Beta.
  1. Go-to your Steam Library
  2. Right click Garry's Mod
  3. Select Properties, then select Betas tab.
  4. In drop-down menu select x86-64 Chromium + 64-Bit Binaries
  5. Close Properties, then when Garry's Mod finishes updating, select Play
  6. ((If Prompted)) When the window opens to select which version to launch, Select Launch Garry's Mod (x64-bit).

Hope this helps, respond back if this worked or not.

Also this seems more like a Technical Support. Just for future references, ensure to post there for problems related to this.

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

Last time I tried launching in x86-64 I couldn't even see the server on the server list, but I can see it now. Must've been a glitch or something. I will need to play for a little bit to see if its fixed, and if I have another issue I'll post it of technical support next time. Thank you very much.

And I don't know why it wouldn't have enough memory I have 16gb I figured that would be enough for GMOD, so I didn't think that would be the issue

Foxtrot0295

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

Happens to me as well, I still have not been able to find a fix for this. I play the game for like 2 hours straight and then randomly out of no were my gmod crashes and game closes.

Hector

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

Hey @tjm0429,
Changing to x64-bit Beta.
  1. Go-to your Steam Library
  2. Right click Garry's Mod
  3. Select Properties, then select Betas tab.
  4. In drop-down menu select x86-64 Chromium + 64-Bit Binaries
  5. Close Properties, then when Garry's Mod finishes updating, select Play
  6. ((If Prompted)) When the window opens to select which version to launch, Select Launch Garry's Mod (x64-bit).

Changing to 64bit does not help some people, when I tried using both chromium versions, the first version I couldn't even connect to the server wtih. With the other 64 bit version, I was able to connect to the server but it was just stuck on "Initializing" indefinitely.

Tjm, are you using any launch commands or do you have anything in autoexec? I still crash but less often after getting rid of all my launch options and anything in my autoexec, also, if you have your texture quality on very high, lower it because that seems to cause crashes aswell.

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

I tried switching to 64. seems to be working so far. I also changes all my graphics settings to the ones with the little * next to them cus they were recommended. But I figured my PC should be able to handle higher, apparently not with this game lol. If the issue continue I'll post here again

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

Update: Switched to 64 @Rondell . Bet but still not great. It have stopped crashing, but after about 30 mins to an hour of play, the game will start to become very choppy. This is about how long it would take to crash before. The only way for me to fix the choppiness is to restart my game. I can't even just leave there server and get back in. Im not dropping frames or having ping high when this is happening.

reqord

Banned
Banned

Years of Mono

LV

Hello everyone. I've been randomly crashing recently and I can't seem to figure out why I've tried everything on the internet to try and fix it, but I just can't seem to figure it out. It always seem to happen at the worse times, but luckily it haven't happened at a point that would get me banned. I trying to avoid that though. I have all the workshop content downloaded. I've deleted it and re downloaded, but its still crashing. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've attached one of my crash logs if anyone feels they can help.
My friend can’t even join, he crashes every time on downloading materials. He tried countless things by now and it still won’t work.

gm1003

Developer
Developer
Awards

Years of Mono

LV

Put your textures to low and go on the 64 bit beta

EmilyM

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Okie, so! I see it is a memory issue! Sadly, Tjm, you will have to raise your memory. I can tell it's hardware due to how you are on 64 bit, are still getting out of memory errors, and that restarting the game "refreshes" how long until you have to restart again.
Gmod is VERY unoptimized for new systems. Due to the unoptimization, the game is using up memory and the computer can't purge it quickly/at all, using all of the physical memory. This is where your virtual memory comes in. When the virtual memory comes in your game starts to slow down, which you see before it's crashing. Virtual memory is much slower than physical, so the game slows down. You can keep playing with the virtual memory until it, too, runs out. When the virtual memory is running out, your game crashes (so that all the memory it's used can be purged. Restarting the game purges the memory, too, making it "refresh").
On a side note, replacing your hard drive with a solid state drive will also fix this issue. An SSD can run virtual memory almost as fast as a memory stick, since an SSD is basically a giant memory stick. An SSD will load programs on it INSANELY faster (by insanely, I mean anywhere from 8x faster to 30x times faster) (because an SSD has no moving parts, it doesnt have to rely on physical boundries as much as a hard drive that has a disc. Allowing it to process and load info much faster than a disc.), which can reduce the load on your memory cards, possibly even allowing them to not get entirely used if your SSD is fast enough.
I have replaced my 1tb hard drive with a 1tb Samsung 860 Evo SSD, and replaced the 8 gigs of memory I had with 16. Since I had the SSD, I have seen MUCH better performance. SSDs can be expensive, but beneficial (For price ranges, get your current specs, and look online for an SSD, they can be atleast 100 dollars. Also, the more space on an SSD, the faster it runs, since the more empty data there is, the less it has to process. NEVER CHEAP OUT ON COMPONENTS).
Memory can also be expensive, but not as expensive. Know how I said an SSD is basically a giant memory stick? It is. Only difference is that most forms of memory temporarily hold data until they stop getting power, and an SSD can permanently hold it whether it has power or not. An SSD is just a giant memory stick in a different form that uses more resources, making it more expensive. Memory sticks are usually 40-100 bucks. I recommend 16 gigs of memory for gmod. BE SURE TO LOOK AT YOUR SPECS AND ENSURE EVERYTHING IS COMPATIBLE BEFORE PUTTING NEW COMPONENTS IN! NEVER CHEAP OUT (get onbrand stuff from onbrand stores with good reviews)!
Tl;dr, you need more memory, an SSD, or you need to deal with it, sadly.

EmilyM

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Just saw that you have 16gb already. Could you give me your computer's specs? (The Make/model of your pc, so I can see what type of ram you are running, as the sticks may just be slow. Also, if you have a custom pc, just tell me the components you have). 16 gigs should be enough, though. The only thing that might be an issue is the type of ram you have. If it's fast enough, than it's a major issue with the memory sticks (physical damage, corruption, etc). I know it's not vram as vram gives a separate error code.

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

I have 16gb G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4 im pretty sure its 2400. I also have i5 6600k and an EVGA gtx 1070. My game is one of my hard drives not my SSD so i'll try moving it over. but thanks for all the information @SnuggleLove. Really useful. But the thing is when I have MSI afterburner on I never see the RAM usage go over 10 GB and I only have pandora running in the background.

Last edited:

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

Screenshot (3).png
This is me playing the game normally. Without the lagginess. When it starts lagging i'll send you that aswell

tjm0429

Monolith Rookie

Years of Mono

LV

UPDATE: Switched my game over to an SSD. The issue is still happening, but it seems to take longer for it to happen. But I noticed as I was playing the amount of memory being used slowly goes down. Once it hits around 8000 MB the game freezes for a couple seconds. Then it will jump back to about 8300 MB and slowly go back down and repeat. So @SnuggleLove I feel you are definitely correct, but I have no idea how to fix this.

Jace

Monolith Pleb

Years of Mono

LV

what are your launch options in steam?

EmilyM

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

Shoot! I forgot to look back at this yesterday! Aight!
Okie, since the ssd does extend the length you can play, than I can almost guarantee that it's your memory type.
Do you have ddr4 ram? (Look at your specs on your pc). If so, than it's damage, sadly.
DDR4 is faster than older types, same type I use. If you do have ddr4, than it is most likely damage, sadly.

Hector

Banned
Banned
Suspended

Years of Mono

LV

Shoot! I forgot to look back at this yesterday! Aight!
Okie, since the ssd does extend the length you can play, than I can almost guarantee that it's your memory type.
Do you have ddr4 ram? (Look at your specs on your pc). If so, than it's damage, sadly.
DDR4 is faster than older types, same type I use. If you do have ddr4, than it is most likely damage, sadly.
You cant tell that his ram is damaged, as far as we know it's only Garry's mod that crashes so the ram is most likely fine. If you want to, you can try reseating your ram and see if that makes a difference, although I doubt that's the issue.

EmilyM

Monolith Grinder

Years of Mono

LV

You have ddr4, and you are getting 8000 MBs, sadly, it's most likely damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.